chapter 2

SINCE THE BEGINNING of last year, Forest had moved out from the townhouse he had shared with his parents to live on his own

SINCE THE BEGINNING of last year, Forest had moved out from the townhouse he had shared with his parents to live on his own. Though he moved, he still made sure that he didn't live too far away from them. In the case that they needed anything, at least he was just a few minutes away.

Forest had liked to call it 'independence on his part', and definitely not 'my parents chased me out of the house.' They claimed that it was for them to enjoy more couple time, but really, Forest knew that it was an attempt for him to look dependable to girls.

Apparently it did not work well at all, because he was still single, wasn't he? A single pringle, that wasn't quite ready to mingle. Unless you were talking about him mingling with his dog, Fletch. He mingled with Fletch really well, and on a daily basis.

"Fletch, are you ready to go?" He asked, picking a red frisbee from the counter, beckoning to the retriever. The dog howled excitedly in return, pawing at the wooden door before it turned round and round in small circles.

Forest had brought Fletch to move in to the new house together with him. He couldn't bear to leave the retriever back there, and so it now had its own room in his house.

He laughed at his dog acting all silly, and as Fletch rolled onto the floor for no reason at all, he came to a quick conclusion. Fletch was all he needed to be happy.

Who even needed a girlfriend when you could have a dog?

Grinning, he walked to the front door briskly, pushing it ajar as Fletch immediately bounded out into the crisp autumn air.

"Wait up." His lips curved into a small smile, as he gently shut the door behind him. Fletch stood right outside, patiently waiting for Forest as he locked the door.

Forest didn't see the need for a leash — Fletch has been trained well enough to follow simple instructions as such. And, thankfully, there was a park just across the road. He could bring the dog for a walk anytime.

The clouds in the vast pink sky above appeared as mere wisps, and the morning sun had just began its rise over the horizons. The park was empty, and it was exactly what Forest liked.

He loved sunrises, as well as mornings so early that nobody else came. Forest a little more of an introverted individual, and he didn't really like to interact with too many people.

As he lead the dog to the small clearing they always went, Forest got ready the frisbee in his hand, grinning when he saw Fletch run around in circles around the lush green grass while waiting excitedly for him.

"There!" He shouted as he tossed the frisbee a distance away. Fletch leaped away, chasing the red disc as it sliced through the air, finally catching it as it landed somewhere nearer to the trees.

The same game repeated for minutes. Sometimes even for an hour, if Fletch wasn't bored of it. But then again, Forest realised that his dog didn't mind playing the same game again and again, as long as it didn't have to stay at home the entire day.