chapter 8

HALEY LOOKED ON QUIETLY at the both of them, leaning against the wall beside her

HALEY LOOKED ON QUIETLY at the both of them, leaning against the wall beside her. Meanwhile, Forest was still grinning, seemingly amused at the whole situation. "Well, hello."

"Uh, hey." Natalie looked confused and flustered, her hand still gripped tightly around the frying pan as she swung around to look at him.

"Don't mind me, but I've just got no idea why the potatoes are stuck on this frying pan." She sighed exasperatedly, looking at them pointedly as she tried using a spoon to scrape the food down.

The frying pan hovered above a white ceramic bowl, ready to hold the pan fried rosemary potatoes — except, the bowl wasn't quite necessary, because the potatoes didn't budge. At all.

They stayed glued to the frying pan, stubborn as ever, and Natalie frowned, her nose scrunched adorably as she prodded the potatoes. Thankfully, yet equally embarrassingly this time, a single cube of potato fell out.

"Lord." She mumbled.

A knowing grin crept up on Forest's face. He had done this all too many times when he was still learning how to cook. "Did you forget butter?"

Natalie narrowed her eyes in Forest's direction. "I just forgot it wasn't a non stick frying pan—"

"Just serve it on the frying pan."

Forest turned around from where the voice came, and he was now facing someone that he didn't recognise at all. The girl smiled at him, stepping out from behind the refrigerator.

"Hey, you're Forest right?" She laughed, with a cheeky smile growing on her face by the second. "I'm Lauren."

Forest had no idea who this girl was and how she knew him, but he replied her anyway. His lips pulled up into a warm smile, "yeah I'm Forest. Have we met?"

She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, nodding afterwards. "You could say so."

"What?" Haley began, a little incredulously at that, "Forest, you know all three of us?"

"I don't?" Forest began, looking equally confused at Haley. His eyes darted around the three girls, as the three of them stared back at him. "Um, what?"

"I mean," Lauren chuckled, a sly smile on her face. "Forest, I did swipe right on your Tinder profile just yesterday night."

Matt cackled loudly in the background.

***

THE AWKWARD SILENCE in the room was finally broken by Matt, again, and Forest was thankful for that.