chapter 5

APPARENTLY, NATALIE HATED drinking mushroom soup

Maybe that explained why she was a little angsty earlier on, Forest thought. One wouldn't feel elated when they spent hard earned money on cans of soup that they hated to drink.

This was the only conclusion that Forest had come to after twenty minutes of walking her home. That conversation about which soup she liked took about a minute, while the remaining was on them bickering about which, between mushroom soup and chicken soup was the better one.

Mushroom was always better.

Right now, he was sitting on his own bed, with Fletch beside him. The golden retriever was sleeping in a relaxed posture, stretched out and tucked under the thick white blankets. Forest couldn't resist a smile as he noticed Fletch's ears flopping at the sides.

He grinned, snapping a few pictures of the sleeping dog to his parents in the family group, adding a text message below the image.

Forest: Good night fam, from Fletch and Forest.

Within a minute or so, as if she had been waiting for his message, he received a reply from Margaret.

Margaret: Good to see Fletch so comfortable. Knew you could take care of it well, Forest.

Forest: Knew I should have just went ahead to be a vet. I swear I would do great??

William: Isn't being an accountant great? Stable job and money, kiddo.

Forest sighed, stretching his legs out as he did. He really wished to quit that job. Nothing about it suited him at all. Frowning, he quickly typed back to his parents.0

Forest: No, I kind of don't like it. As much as I hate the Wisteria growing on the house walls.

Forest: Has it been removed?

Margaret: Maybe you could consider going for another stable job, dear. And no, not quite. It's lovely.

Margaret: By the way, William and I would like you to meet a lovely girl! We met her parents today during our morning walk! Heard she's absolutely nice and kind.

Forest groaned as he leaned back into the soft pillow behind him. It seemed like they found out Haley wasn't his girlfriend, and were trying to put him on another blind date.

Forest: But I have work tomorrow, and I'm going to be all grouchy on her. Bad idea, parents.

Margaret: I'm sure she will understand, Forest. We have already confirmed with her parents, by the way. Plus, it's a meet and greet kind of thing! Rest assured, it's not a blind date at all :)