chapter 22

THEY HAD GONE their separate ways after Natalie had woken up approximately thirty minutes later in a daze

THEY HAD GONE their separate ways after Natalie had woken up approximately thirty minutes later in a daze. Forest bit back a smile when she finally opened her eyes, staring at the coat she was under before her cheeks had turned a light shade of pink.

He didn't get a chance to say much, because Natalie had quickly thanked him, returning the coat to him before she rushed off in a slight fluster to meet Haley. Except she had left in such a hurry, that his scarf was still with her.

Forest had offered to bring Fletch and Bailey to the animal shelter before she left, just so that he could help to keep them company.

But really, the dogs seemed to be the ones giving him company instead — until they had decided to leave him alone, possibly to make friends with the rest of the animals.

Forest stared blankly at everyone and everything, willing time to go by a little faster.

Matt was going to come slightly later for whatever reason, and as of now, Forest could only point out what work was to be done for the newer volunteers. Everyone else had decided that Forest would need 'ample rest' after glancing at his arm and having heard about his accident.

And that was simply ridiculous to him, especially knowing that many days had gone by perfectly fine after the accident. But he kept quiet about it anyway, accepting it awkwardly, knowing that they meant well.

Then someone tapped on his shoulder from behind. Forest turned to see Anne, one of the workers he became friends with at RSPCA. She wasn't extremely talkative, but the both of them were on friendly terms.

"Oh hey, Anne. What's up? Need something?"

"Yeah, actually. We kind of need your help," she said, with a growing smile on her face. "Doesn't involve your arm too much, don't worry about that."

"I never worried about that, actually —"

"Alright! We've got a new volunteer, and I'd like if you could just show her around. You know, to get used to this area and all."

"Oh, yeah, course." Forest replied, mirroring her smile. He'd love to finally be of help, and it was even better that someone new was volunteering too. Forest stood up with a smile. "Now?"

"Yeah." Anne stepped to the side, giving him a small grateful nod, "and I hope the both of you get along well."

His eyes flickered over to where the new volunteer stood, and he could only blink in disbelief as she waved to him, "well hello, Forest."

***

NATALIE HAD REACHED the mall just a few minutes before the promised time. Haley had already been waiting for her, chatting with Matt as she sipped on her iced coffee.

She laughed when she noticed Matt trying to take a sip of the drink as well, only to be hit by Haley on the shoulder. Haley was always the one who was a little more abusive amongst the three of them back in high school. It seemed to have remained that way even after their graduation.