chapter 28

FOREST WAS STILL smiling giddily— even after he'd taken a long shower to refresh himself

FOREST WAS STILL smiling giddily— even after he'd taken a long shower to refresh himself. Because how was he to forget what Natalie just did? It was the first time she'd even come close to him on her own accord, and had even kissed him. On the cheek, yes, but it was still something.

Touching his face subconsciously, Forest took a quick glance in the mirror. And as expected, he looked like an idiot. Thankfully, he wasn't about to meet anyone for the rest of the day. Because Forest didn't know how he should reply any questions thrown in his way if he were to see anybody—

And then the doorbell rang. Horrified, he repeatedly splashed cold water onto his face, rubbing it a few times before rushing to the door.

"Hi." Natalie mumbled with a shy smile, "I'm here."

"You actually came?" He asked in disbelief, his eyes darting towards the paper bags held in her arms as she nodded.

Please, please stop smiling like an idiot.

"Well, I said I would. And are you alright? Your face is really red." Natalie replied simply, another smile gracing her face as she peered in.

"It's, um, hot." Forest mumbled.

Natalie raised her eyebrows questioningly. "We are in the midst of winter, actually." Forest ran a tongue across his bottom lip. "Right."

"Are we going in?" She asked.

Forest rubbed his wet hair with a towel as he quickly nodded, closing the door after her. Tousling his wet hair, he followed Natalie into the kitchen where she was headed to.

As she set the items down on the counter, he couldn't help but worry if her conversation with Theodore went alright.

"Are you fine?" He asked, casting a worried look at her.

"Of course." Natalie said. "It's just Theodore."

Natalie could deny, but Forest could still see her flinch, ever so slightly when she had mentioned his name. Yes, maybe she was getting over him, but he was sure that she wasn't totally over it.

But Forest didn't mind. She could take all the time in the world, and he'd always be waiting for her to be ready.

Deciding not to probe any further, he swiftly changed the subject. "Okay. But are you here to cook something?"

Natalie nodded with a growing smile. "Well, yeah, I was thinking if I could make some pizza at your house."

"You." He mumbled in confusion, his eyes shifting from the kitchen to her. "Cook. Here?"