chapter 4

THE VERY FIRST time Forest met Fletch wasn't in the animal shelter

THE VERY FIRST time Forest met Fletch wasn't in the animal shelter. In fact, Forest was the one who had brought Fletch to the animal shelter. The first time he'd met the golden retriever was during his years in high school, on his way back home, as he walked past the dumpsters.

He distinctly remembered how scrawny the dog was then — with it's skin caked with mud and dirt as is searched through the trash for food — and yet he didn't mind it at all. He simply carried the animal in his arms all the way to the shelter.

Forest never thought that he would be this attached to the dog, yet he found himself returning to the animal shelter after school every day, just to see how Fletch was doing. Until, of course, he finally decided to join as a volunteer for good.

He rubbed the dog's ears as it sprawled out on the sofa. Unlike other owners, Forest would never know when Fletch would leave him. Because he never knew the dog's age from the start. Fletch could be three or four — or maybe not, because judging by his size, this big dog was probably eight to ten years in age. And that had meant that he would only have a few more years together with him —

Suddenly, the doorbell rang incessantly, breaking him out of his trance.

"Alright, hold up I'm coming!" Forest yelled as he made his way to the door. He unlocked it to see a disgruntled Matt standing outside.

Matt was leaning on the wall, wearing a simple cotton shirt under a denim jacket, pairing it with some black jeans. He rubbed his arms a few times, shifting his weight from one foot to another.

"Took you so bloody long. It's freezing out here, mate. You have no heart."

Forest squinted at him. "Barely thirty seconds. But what are you doing here?" Forest asked, a little confused as he dried his hair with the small towel hanging on his neck.

He had just finished taking a shower in an attempt to refresh himself, having walked Fletch early in the morning, and working out in the gym afterwards.

He didn't see Natalie nor Bailey today morning at the park, even though he expected them to be there. Perhaps she was still busy unpacking. Fletch looked a tad disappointed that Bailey didn't come; and Forest wasn't going to lie— he did feel the same way too. Just a little. He even brought a ball that hid many dog treats, hoping to let Fletch share it with Bailey while he talked to Natalie.

Natalie was his friend, and he kind of liked her snarky replies. She was fun to be around with. After all, most people didn't talk to him like that.

"Hello? Can I please come in?" Matt scowled, "I'm still standing outside you know." He narrowed his eyes as he snapped Forest out of his trance.