chapter 21

THE DAY BEGAN when Fletch had made it's way into the room and up on the bed again, playfully pouncing on Forest — and honestly, quite painfully — to wake him up

Forest opened an eye, groaning tiredly when he saw Fletch with a small blue ball from god knows where held in his mouth. He turned to the digital clock at the table beside the bed, frowning when he saw the time.

5.10 a.m.

"Oh god." He mumbled into the blanket covers, turning away from the dog as he closed his eyes again. "I've got no idea how you are awake, but I need to sleep."

Fletch howled softly, nudging Forest with his nose gently. Forest didn't budge, and had seemed to fallen back asleep in a matter of seconds. But he had jolted awake from his sleep a few seconds later, when he felt something warm and slimy on his face.

Forest's eyes snapped open in a moment, scowling as  the dog's tongue swept across his cheek. He froze for a moment or two, staring at Fletch licking and slobbering all over his face with a goofy smile.

"Oh god. That —" he muttered, sitting upright and pushing Fletch's opened mouth away, "is so not cool."

He sighed, almost wanting to rub his face — until he decided that wasn't exactly a wise choice. "That, is disgusting, Fletch."

Forest attempted to shift away, but the dog moved along with him, continuing his slobbers.

"Fletch, you never do this. Where the hell did you learn this from?"

Forest didn't guess it then, but perhaps the dog learnt it from Bailey.

***

AS USUAL, THE park was empty that morning. At least that was what Forest thought — until he saw a familiar figure sitting at the bench he frequented, lazily throwing a frisbee into the distance.

Then he saw the white retriever bounding away energetically to get the frisbee back. This happened for a few more times, and he bit back a smile when he noticed the girl slouch against the backrest, struggling to stay awake.

Walking in front of Fletch, he then came up to behind where Natalie sat, putting his hand on the soft blue beanie that rested on her head.

"This is soft."

She gasped, turning to her left as her eyes trailed to where Forest stood with a wide smile on his face. "What are you doing here?" Natalie asked, rubbing her eyes tiredly as she moved over for him to take a seat too.

Forest watched as Fletch ran off to where Bailey was, with the two of them entertaining themselves. "Fletch made me." He muttered, squinting at the two dogs that had started to dig the barren earth beneath them.