chapter 10

FOREST EDWARDS STOOD with his arms crossed, tapping on his foot impatiently as the slightly grey-haired man sat in front of his desk, back facing him

"Not cool."

The man swivelled around on the leather chair to face Forest. Clearing his throat, he imitated Siri's voice. "Interesting question."

Forest scowled, before he took a seat on his bed. He should never had given his parents a spare set of keys to his apartment.

"Why did you come here, by the way?" Forest asked, kicking off his bedroom slippers as he waited for a reply. He propped himself up with a fluffy pillow. "It's late."

"I need your help." William replied. "I need better ideas."

"Ideas on?" Forest questioned, quirking an eyebrow at his father's words. William Edwards literally never asked him for help. He preferred to do everything by himself.

"Also," Forest glanced towards the bedroom door that was still ajar, shuddering at the thought of his own father's maniacal laughter a few minutes ago, "Dad, you could have just called me."

William pondered over Forest's words for a while. "Actually, I couldn't. I didn't want to risk waking your mum up."

Forest nodded slowly. "And you assumed I was awake and probably didn't mind if you had to wake me up." He mumbled, narrowing his eyes.

"I need your help," William repeated hesitantly, "to think of something for Margaret and my wedding anniversary." He smiled widely, his smile forming creases at his eyes.

Forest felt his heart warm at the sight of his father being so happy and excited about the wedding anniversary. It's been years since they've been married, and he wondered how much it took to love somebody unceasingly; endlessly like that.

Forest nodded. "Sure. But isn't that like," he paused and counted, "two whole months away?"

William Edwards shook his head. "It feels like it's tomorrow. I wanted to start preparing for it early you know?"

"Alright then. I'll think about what you can do." Forest said, and grinned when his dad gave him the thumbs up sign.

Forest was already thinking about asking Natalie, Matt and Haley on what he could do for the anniversary. He only knew how much it meant to his parents, and how much he wanted it to be good.

William stood up, smiling at Forest. "Knew I could count on you. You're the best kid I have."

Forest laughed knowingly. "Yeah, Dad. Maybe because I'm the only one you have."

***

PROCRASTINATION WAS AT its finest the next morning.