Chapter XXXVII

I was up bright and early the next morning. I hadn’t been able to sleep all that well the night before. Images of the fight were burned into my mind. Cain and I hadn’t done much the day before after I had gotten up and ate. We had spent the entire afternoon and most of the night wrapped in each others arms. There wasn’t much talking going on, not much of anything going on, really.

As I stared out our bedroom window watching the sun rise over the mountains I couldn’t help but look down at the grass below. You could clearly see the blood that still tainted the grounds and covered some of the walls. I wondered how long it would take before there was no reminder of what had happened on the campus. How long would it be before you could no longer see the blood staining the ground? I was pretty sure that by spring you would be able to tell. It was already winter and soon the grounds would be covered in snow.

I gazed up at the sky only to realize that the first snow fall was starting. I watched as the snow flakes slowly but surely fell from the sky, settling on the ground below. Arms wrapped around my waist and I snuggled back into Cain’s chest. His warm breath whispered past my ear, brushing across my cheek. 

“I’ve never seen snow before,” I whispered as I continued to watch the snow fall. 

“Beautiful isn’t it?” he asked 

“It is,” I agreed

“You know, winter was my mothers favorite season.” he said “On the day of the first snow fall she would sit out on the porch and just smile.”

“I can understand why,” I smiled 

I could picture myself doing the exact same thing. I could see myself sitting out on the porch of the pack house every morning to watch the snow. Cain’s arm tightened around my waist and I knew that he was thinking the same thing. He placed a tender kiss on my temple before stepping away.

“Time to get ready, we’ve got an appointment to get to.” he said 

Nodding I stepped away from the window and headed for the bathroom. After a quick shower I dressed in some distressed jeans and gray thermal long-sleeved and gray calve high ugg boots. When I walked back into the room Cain was dressed and ready as well. He held his hand out to me and I took it without hesitation and let him lead me out of our room. The hall was quiet, void of any type of life as we walked through it. I would have chalked it up to everyone still being a sleep but, I wasn’t THAT early in the morning. There were usually a few people roaming about no matter what time it was. 

“It’s so quiet now,” I commented just before we reached the elevator. 

“Yeah, it sure is.” Cain agreed 

Cain’s arm wrapped around my shoulders as the elevators door opened. I was a little shocked when it opened to reveal Mana. He was leaning against the back wall with his hands stuffed in his pockets. 

“Morning guys,” he smiled 

“M-morning,” I stammered “What are you doing?”

“I was just coming back from Sierra’s dorm,” he replied 

“Did you two....” I began but unable to finished my question.

“No, we haven’t” he said with a shake of his head. “She just didn’t want to be alone.”

“Oh,” I said