Chapter Eight : Party For Two

Nene! Nene! Can I climb too? "

Nenye could see the four year old Chibuzo jumping beneath the tree. He found it difficult to pronounce Nenye's name and after so many failed attempts of teaching him, she gave up. The children had insisted on eating cherries planted in the garden behind the mansion, which was her fault as she had mentioned to the children how tasty the fruit was. She opted to fetch it for them as the punishment for her revelation

The other children eyed her longingly as she filled her bag with the fleshy and round purple colored cherries.

She had made it a habit to always take the children out of the orphanage whenever she got the chance. A part of her felt it was a debt she owed her friend Chizaram and the other children in the orphanage who did not get good families to stay with.

"Nobody is climbing! Just stay there I'm almost done up here" she stated with a grunt. The cherry tree was not like other trees and grew in a shrub like manner. Thoughts about her dream kept flooding to her mind while she reached to fetch another fruit.

"you know you don't look bad"

She had openly stated to Michael. Maybe it had been how sad she was that drove her to drinking even when she knew very well how badly she reacted to alcohol.

She had dreamt about the night, only it wasn't a dream it was simply what had happened the day before she woke up in Michael's bed.

"The kiss"

The kiss had felt so real, she had wanted to continue. The warmth that radiated from his body, the need to be held within his embrace. The need his tongue had aroused within her.

Nenye shut her eyes momentarily shoving thoughts about Michael where they wouldn't taunt her.
It was her duty to be faithful to her husband for her own protection.

There had been nothing intimate between her and Mr Anthony. Legally she was his wife but often she was treated more like his child than spouse. She didn't regret the arrangement with the old man because it gave her the freedom she had dreamed of but she did not bargain for an extremely attractive and annoying step son who was older than she was.

Nenye slapped her forehead out of exasperation as she mentally scolded herself for considering Michael attractive.

The bag flew out of her hands and landed close to Chibuzo and the other children who jumped out of excitement before attacking the contents of the bag.

Nenye tried to hurry down from he the tree but slipped and ended up having her hair stuck.

Mary Jane a six year old was the only one who looked up to see nenye struggling before notifying the others.

"Nene are you trying to fly?" Dan a five year old boy who was also an albino questioned as he viewed nenye in an awkward position.

"No! No! My hair is stuck here and I need help"

"Can I come help you?" Chibuzo questioned running to the tree base

"No you can't! Please just call Chinwedu, she'll help me"

"Are you going to die?" Chibuzo enquired still stocking cherries into his small mouth

"No! Just go and call her please"

All the children ran into the house in search of Chinwendu while Nenye struggled to get down with her hair intact. She had gone back to her afro two days after she had seen her husband at the hospital.

The doctors said he suffered from Locked-in syndrome which was also known as pseudocoma.

Nenye and Michael had stayed with the man till evening, seemingly affected  and disappointed by his slightly improved condition.