Chapter Twenty Two : Double Disaster

"How is she?" Michael enquired as one of the nurses approached him

"She's still delirious but we are trying our best to get the drugs out of her system. It might be gruesome for her "

Michael nodded and stepped aside as the chubby nurse made her way to another patient's room.

He was too afraid to step in to Nenye's room, not because he was scared for her condition but because he was terrified about the rage that was building up inside of him.

A sensible part of him argued that she was not well and that was why she approbated the bastard's claim about being his father's second wife. A huge part of him saw reasons with him.

Why would his father marry such a young girl?

Was Nenye a two faced liar? But why had she claimed in front of his father that she did not have feelings for him.

So many questions raced through his mind getting him more confused.

He quickly dug up his phone and dialed his uncle. The call didn't connect and he angrily dumped his phone back into his pocket.

If Nenye was the threat his uncle had been warning him about, why then did he encourage him to woo her?

A lot of things didn't make sense!

A sudden chime, made him check his phone. It turned out to be a notification that his battery was low. He didn't have his charger and didn't want to leave Nenye, so he stayed put and waited in the hospital.

The grueling images of the dead priest came back to haunt him and he shook his head. It had rattled him to watch a being take his own life.

He had never truly bothered about Nenye's past, growing up with a bastard like the dead man could have affected her in a way.

But why did the man kill himself? It didn't seem like a sensible thing to do.

Why hadn't he asked for money?

Michael gently walked towards Nenye's room, took deep breaths and opened the door. His anger almost faded as a vulnerable picture of Nenye lying on the hospital bed greeted his eyes.

She was sleeping peacefully, an intravenous drug attached to her wrist.

Michael gently sat down beside her and secured her hand in his.

"I know he lied, you'll tell me the truth won't you?"

Silence greeted him and rubbed his forehead out of exhaustion.

The only other option left was confronting his sick father to know his reason for picking an innocent girl as his spouse. The thought enraged him.

He just had to wait till when Nenye came to. The two of them had a lot to discuss.

Sleep caught him unawares and he began to snore softly.

Nenye woke up feeling run down and weak. She moved her hand slowly as she sighted Michael sleeping on the chair.

Her head banged and she had to flinch her eyes to abate the dizziness that tugged her.

Everything seemed hazy and blurry. She had awoken the first time to Morgan speaking to Michael. Somehow the truth had slipped from her lips.

Did the drug also make her delirious?

The next thing she heard was a loud banging sound. How she had arrived the hospital was still strange.

Something must have happened to father Morgan and thankfully nothing to Michael.

She tried to call out to Michael but her lips were too heavy. Nenye cleared her throat still Michael did not hear her.

Terrified at the state she was in she tried moving her legs but found them not responding. The drugs must have affected her badly were her thoughts as she began to breathe rapidly.

The door to her room clicked open and an intern walked in. She observed Nenye and assured Nenye that her loss in movement was only temporary.

She somehow managed to go back to sleep, Michael was probably too exhausted and could not even wake after the conversation she had with the intern.

Few hours later he and Nenye woke up  simultaneously together.

He moved to her side and cradled her cheek. His anger had been tamed by how vulnerable she appeared.

"How are you feeling now?"

"Very weak" she muttered

"That man is a psychopath. He shot himself right there"

Nenye wasn't prepared for the sadness that came over her. Somehow a part of her mourned the loss. He had been the only father figure in her life before he became a monster. Why had he turned out to be so bad? She thought of the times when he was her hero.

Why would the man kill himself? Was it because of what he claimed he went through in prison?

"They are investigating him, they're trying to find out how he escaped from prison and who he was working with. Chuks claims he had something  his to do with his cameras that stopped working. "

Nenye nodded slowly, tears brimming in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry you had to live with that type of man"

He almost kissed her but was held back by the question that plagued his mind.

His countenance took a sudden change that made him grow silent.

"I know this is not the right time Nenye but I can't help myself. The man said you're my father's wife.. His second wife. Please tell me the truth,who are you to my father? "

More tears seeped out of Nenye's eyes as she stared at him.

She nodded slowly affirming the truth." I am his second wife "

Michael grew suddenly quiet as the words resounded in his ears

Nenye didn't know what to say or do so she just stared bleakly at him

A ring interrupted their wordless exchange and Michael reached out to grab Nenye's phone.

"it's Chinwedu, she probably wants to know if you're okay"

"Yes, I'm at the hospital. Yes He is here"

Nenye signaled for Michael to take the phone which he did and began to speak with Chinwedu.

Chinwedu's voice was husky it was almost as if the girl was crying but trying to conceal it.

Her kidnap must have really terrified them.

"No!" Michael yelled startling her.

"No.. No.. No... Please no!"

He angrily threw the phone on the wall and it smashed into pieces.

Nenye gasped at his action and he rubbed his face, staggering to where he sat before,tears seeping out from his eyes. His mouth quivering as his gaze fell on Nenye who gave him an inquisitive look.

"Father Is dead"

************************************

Hello everyone

It's a short chapter I know! But it felt like I had abandoned this story and I had to update.

So Mr Anthony is dead,what do you think happened to the priest?