Chapter Sixteen : On The Wrong Side

The screams that erupted from underneath the bed pierced Nenye's ears, reaching even to the depth of unconsciousness pulling her out of dreamland. Her lids fluttered at the sound of another cry and she realized that it was someone who seemed to be in pain.

She quickly scrambled off the bed landing on her derriere from the imbalance caused by her swift movement. The faint illumination cast from the almost burnt out candle aided her in locating the light switch.

She had begun to use scented candles to sleep after she had caught her parents in a compromising position and they had explained that they were doing as commanded by God. They explained that the candles aided a certain camaraderie with their creator. Such familiarity would lead to the conception and unfailingly produce an  additional member to their family.

Being an only child Nenye dreamed of such addition mostly because her classmates always spoke of their fiasco younger siblings.

The obvious amusement and slight embarrassment on her mother's face should have told her more, but naivety and childhood were kin to gullibility.

Her interest about scented candles were piqued and she decided only to sleep with candles on. Who cared? The candles would bring a quick answer to her prayer and her plays would involve less of objects like comb, brush and more of humans.

A sound startled her as she neared the door, a piercing scream followed suit before another sound. She wasn't too young to understand the tunes of danger and the goosebumps that spread across her skin sent a clear message of retreat.

It was her mother's voice

Her legs shook and her tremors racked her body as her pulse rose.

Had something happened to her parents?

Nenye swallowed hard clutching her chest with her trembling hands and placing her head on the door. She listened and waited but only silence greeted her ears.

She quickly went back to where her candle was burning and whispered a short prayer to the flickering flame hoping  a quick response would come.

A loud thud came in front of her door and her heart almost flew of her chest. A pounding followed suit and the candle fell out of her hands and swiftly onto the bed cloth that had found its way to her foot. A loud bang sounded once more and Nenye felt a warm liquid trickle down her laps and she fled to her bathroom.

Nenye's teeth clattered and her legs shook as the door to her bedroom flew open.

The footsteps that followed even terrified her the more. A loud yell followed by another thud forced tears out of her eyes.

Another silence ensued and she slowly opened the door to peek. The flames dancing on her bed made her eyes widen out of shock.

Her room was on fire

The flames licked the bed sheet and soon jumped to her drapes. The owner of the intimidating footsteps lay very close to her bed. He seemed to be unconscious from what Nenye garnered. His legs seemed to have a mess of her coordinated urine.

She stepped away from the stranger and headed to her door. She practically ran down the stairs in search of her parents. She had barely made it past the fourth step before a hand gripped her from behind.

The man held her as he descended the stair case with rapidity that terrified her.

"shhhh don't scream if you want to live" he had whispered and her mouth clamped shut.