Chapter Twenty : Beaten

Michael knew drinking was self destructive but somehow he always turned to alcohol when things did not go right.

His migraine was blinding, he had to hold, rub and caress his forehead to lessen the pain.

Sammy had dropped him by the house and the gatekeeper had helped him get into his room.

Thankfully the women in the house were asleep and his father as well, not that he bothered to check.

"I do not care about him, not in that way" He muttered to himself as he made his way to his bed.

"How stupid of me! Why would she? Who would throw away the chance of being Father's favorite child to love me?" A bitter laugh escaped his lips as he thought of his mother.

He could remember her last days and how they were filled with so much pain.

He was certain his father had been cheating on her, there were certain signs. His mother was depressed, she had turned from the carefree exciting woman to simply a shell.

Something he had hated his father for.

The way his mother handled his father always amused him, his conventional strict ways were tossed to the trash and she handled things the way she wanted.

Sadly those were things he had seen in Nenye as well.

Michael jerked up from his bed as the words him.

Nenye is just like my mother and that is why I love her.

"Maybe she was scared of admitting the truth because of father!

Of course! She didn't know if father would have approved of our relationship!

She probably feels the same way I feel for her, that's why she came looking for me. That or to probably shatter my heart. I have to find out which one!

I am such an idiot!"

He quickly scrambled off his bed but ended up on the floor. Alcohol had really messed up his senses.

Slowly he staggered finding his way to  her bedroom.

Unlocking the door, he gently made his way into the room and closed the door. He was still facing the door when he began to utter the words he had thought about.

" Nenye I know why you said you didn't care about me...." He didn't know why he was so nervous but he chose to take deep breaths.

Fool me twice!

Wasn't a pleasant experience.

"It's because of my fa.." He turned to see an empty well dressed bed.

That was odd!

He had expected her to be sleeping curled up at the end of the bed and boy be greeted by silence

He went into Nenye's bathroom and it was empty as well. Then he remembered how Chuks had told him that Nenye had come to get him from the club.

The fear that tugged his nerves almost paralyzed him at the spot.

"Had Nenye taken a drink?"

He staggered back into his room and dialed Chuks' number.

"Nenye is not at home. Are you sure she came to the club?"

"Yes I dey sure, She been come with her driver,one guy wey dem dey call Ebere. But she no gree commot. I told her where to find you. Wetin come happen?"