Chapter Twenty Three: An Uncomfortable Truth

Michael stared at the lifeless corpse on the bed, his eyes filled with tears. Chinwendu was wailing beside him and Christine was seated beside the dead body,tears seeping out from her eyes.

His father was well before he left the house, they had been consistent and punctual with his medication. His speech had improved and he could sit for longer periods.

What exactly had gone wrong?

Regret and disappointment tugged Michael's heart as Christine pleaded with Anthony to wake up.

He could see how deeply Christine cared for his late father. Chinwendu sniffed beside him and he turned to embrace her.

He patted her back as she wailed, her tears smearing his shirt.

Had his father found about Nenye's kidnap?

What had actually gone wrong? How was he ever going to mend their broken relationship? He had always distanced himself from his father because he blamed the man for his mother's death but looking at his dead body made him realize that he had wasted a chance to truly be a son to his father.

"Anthony please wake up! Your son is here. Anthony"

Chinwendu tugged at his shirt the more and even blew her nostrils on his shirt. Startling Michael from his thoughts.

"Did he have a seizure? Did you tell him about Nenye's kidnap?"

Michael rubbed Chinwendu's hair as she shook her head in response to his questions.

"I was here in the house. I had told the others to help look for Ne...nye. He was okay, wasn't he?"

"I don't even know.. This was just unexpected"

The three of them hovered over Anthony's corpse, each baring their hearts with how disappointed they were with his demise.

Michael's heart lingered on the last moments he spent with his father and Chinenye. Guilt Tugged his heart and a little resentment began to bud for Nenye.

Had his confrontation had something to do with his father's demise?

Maybe his father had truly felt betrayed and a heart attack had come from figuring out that Nenye was probably kidnapped.

It didn't seem right! Nothing even made sense anymore.

The only thing that was clear to him was that he had lost two of his parents. He had become just like Nenye, an orphan.

*************

Nenye couldn't stop the tears that streamed out of her eyes as she lay on her bed.

Exhaustion couldn't even stop the flow of the liquid and headache was rearing it head. Her mind flew to the first time Mr Anthony had seen her.

The man who had taken her in, the man who made her life so much better.

The moments they shared together swarmed through her head. Each leaving a deeper cut as her mind processed them.

Their last moment was the one that replayed incessantly. It seemed as if the old man had a hidden message for her.

Goosebumps crept to her skin as Anthony's words of warming resounded in her mind.

But who exactly was he protecting her from?

She got even more terrified as she thought if the possibility of that being related to his death. Why did she always have to lose people that truly cared about her? Was it her own curse or something?