Chapter 1

Kion woke up beside Rani.  It was about a year after his coronation, but he still didn't feel like he was where he should be.  His scar was healed, the Pride Lands were protected by Vitani, the whole Lion Guard was at the Tree with him.  What was wrong with him?  Rani rolled onto her back and batted at his mane playfully with a paw.

"What's wrong?"  She asked.

Kion couldn't tell Rani the truth.  But he couldn't lie to his mate, either.

"Nothing," he decided to say.

Rani clearly didn't believe him, as she rolled onto her feet and looked at him, worried.

"You can tell me," she assured.  "I'm here for you."

In the time that he was deciding what to say, Kion did identify a possible problem, but not probable.  They were two different species.

"The problem is that I don't feel like I'm where I should be," Kion said.  "I don't know why.  I have everything I could possibly want."

"Do you miss your family?"  Rani suggested.

"No," Kion responded.  They visited often, missing him more than he missed them.  "I'm not homesick."

"Let's take a walk," Rani said.  "It might help clear your mind."

While Kion was talking to Rani, Fuli and Azaad were outside, running.  It took Fuli's mind off the problem she was having.  Azaad was great to hang out with, but something was wrong.  The only problem she had identified was not a probable one.  They were two different species.  When Fuli and Azaad stopped running, Azaad came up to his mate.

"What's wrong?"  He asked.  "You were much slower today.  You normally beat Azaad."

"It's nothing," Fuli said.

"You can tell me," Azaad said, startling Fuli.  It wasn't often that Azaad referred to himself in first-person.  "I'm your mate."

"I feel like something's wrong," Fuli explained.  "But I don't know what.  I'm with you, the Guard is here, there's nothing wrong."

"Let us go for a walk," Azaad suggested.  "It may help clear your mind."

Running normally helped with that.  But Azaad might be right; she was getting a little exhausted.

"Let's go," Fuli agreed.  They started walking, but Fuli noticed that Azaad was leading them in the opposite direction of the Tree.  Eventually, they left the area of the Tree.

"Azaad?"  Fuli asked.  "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere," Azaad said.  His voice lost the accent that he normally had, causing Fuli to take a closer look.  The spots weren't right; they were in different spots and sizes.  This wasn't Azaad.  Fuli exhaled gratefully.  One problem solved.  She felt like something was off because something was off.  But another problem had risen.  If this wasn't Azaad, who was it?  Times like these were when she wished for Kion by her side.  He would know what to do.

Relax, Fuli, she told herself.  You took over the Guard when he couldn't lead.  You can figure this out yourself.

Fuli opened her mouth to take in the other cheetah's scent.  It smelled familiar to her.  She looked into her memory, and it was one of the first scents she could remember, besides her mother's.  She shook her head.  She was jumping to conclusions.  Her parents had left her when she was young.  There was absolutely no way they could've survived.  And absolutely no way she wanted them to survive.  Her memories of them were buried deep for a reason.