Chapter 17

Kion woke up cuddled with Fuli.  He took in her sweet scent, smelling the grass on her fur.  It was something he had missed while he was out.

"How you doing?"  Fuli asked.

"Not any better," Kion responding, standing up.  "I tried, but I can't remember anything."

"Go talk to Rani," Fuli said.  "She'll be happy to know you're awake."

"Rani's the dark lioness, right?"  Kion asked.

"Without the spots," Fuli confirmed.

"Right," Kion said.

Kion walked out of the den, looking for Rani.  Once he found her, he walked up to the lioness.

"Kion!"  Rani called from beside Sira.  "You're awake!"

"Yeah," Kion responded.  "I am.  But I'm having trouble remembering a lot of things."

"Are you okay?"  Rani asked.

"Physically, I'm fine," Kion said.  "But mentally, I don't feel like myself."

"Sira, I'll be back," Rani stood up.

"What about how you've been feeling?"  Sira asked.

"I'll be fine," Rani said.  "Don't worry."

Rani walked off with Kion.

"You said you can't remember things," Rani said.  "What do you remember?"

"Fuli said I went to the Tree of Life," Kion said.  "But I can't remember it."

"But you remember me, right?"  Rani asked.

"Only a little," Kion responded.

"I don't know where to start," Rani admitted.  "So much went on."

"Like you trying to send us away?"  Kion teased.

"Exactly," Rani said.  "Hey, you're remembering things!"

Kion smiled.

"I am," he said.  "I remember my healing now.  And when you proposed to me."

"Do you remember your training with the Roar?"  Rani asked.  She knew it was a big part of their plan, and if Kion couldn't use the Roar, the plan would fall apart.

"I think," Kion said.  "But I can't remember who trained me."

"Do you remember giving Vitani the Roar?"  Rani asked.

"I remember that," Kion said.  "All my memory's back except for some gaps."

"Kion," a voice said, making both Kion and Rani jump.  "You have recovered well."

Kion turned, and immediately remembered the gaps.

"Grandfather Mufasa!"  he exclaimed.  "I can't believe I forgot about you!"

"The Roar is a powerful thing," Mufasa said.  "But it's also our only hope."

"I know," Kion said, digging his claws into the ground.  "Thank you, Grandfather Mufasa."

Rani was about to speak when she gagged and vomited into the grass away from Kion.

"Rani!"  Kion exclaimed.  "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Rani said.  "Probably better than fine."

"I didn't think Sira was the type of lion to do that," Kion said, immediately understanding what Rani meant.  "He seems way too closed-off."

"Fuli did it," Rani said.  "And she's closed-off."

"Yeah," Kion agreed.  "She's expecting now."