Chapter 19

Kion woke up in the cave he was sharing with Badili's leap.  It had been two months, and he was starting to get worried about the Pride Lands.  He had been avoiding looking at it ever since he had come to the Back Lands.  Kiara, Kovu, and Fuli were awake, too.

"Do you want to check out the Pride Lands?"  Kiara asked.  Like her brother, she was avoiding looking at the Pride Lands.

"I guess," Kion said.  "If you can make it."

"Of course I can," Kiara said.  "Fuli?  You want to come?"

"Sure," Fuli said, standing up.  She had gotten larger, and Kion would say it was more so than Kiara.

"I'll stay behind in case any of the leap wakes up," Kovu said.

"Right," Kion agreed.  As long as one male was with them, they'd be able to get the healer - Mganga - to them.  The two lions and cheetah walked to Pride Lands-Back Lands - or at least started to.  Scar had been expanding his range, and making sure to scent-mark these borders.  Kiara's eyes started to tear up, and Kion put his tail around her shoulders.  He felt her pain, but he also knew he had to be there to support her.  The Pride Lands had become a wasteland, and Kiara was powerless to stop it.

"Let's warn the leap," Kiara said.  "Move farther away from the border."

"It's probably going to be around nine months before I can leave the cubs alone," Fuli said.  "Nine months after they're born."

"Around seven months for me," Kiara said.  "And Chui said it was three months for her."

"Let's head back to the leap," Fuli suggested.  "We have to move as quickly as possible.  Especially with how many animals are expecting."

"Right," Kion saw Fuli gag and let her vomit before he continued.  "Scar's not going to hold back for us."

"He won't," Fuli agreed.

"Hey, Fuli?"  Kiara asked.  "Can you head back and warn the leap first?  I want to talk to Kion in private."

Kion nodded when Fuli looked at him for affirmation.

"Just be careful," he warned.  "Warn the Guard and Night Pride if there's any danger."

"Right," Fuli agreed, walking away.

"You want to talk to Mom and Dad and Grandfather," Kion guessed.

"Yes," Kiara confirmed.  "Mom and Dad have faced Scar before.  They might know what to do."

"Alright," Kion said.  He looked up at the sky.  "Mom?  Dad?  Grandfather Mufasa?"

"We're all here, Kion, Kiara," Mufasa answered, appearing in the sky.

"Something is troubling you," Nala guessed.

"Of course!"  Kion exclaimed.  "Scar's taken over the Pride Lands!  And it's expanding!"

"Take a deep breath, Kion," Mufasa said.  Once Kion obliged, Mufasa continued.  "We're worried about the Pride Lands, too.  Scar has the Outlands.  But you have a spy in the midst.  She hasn't given in to Scar's evil influence - even though her mate is close to."

"But how will we talk to her?"  Kion asked, understanding who Mufasa meant.

"She has become one of Scar's most trusted followers," Nala explained.  "She will be on the next patrol expanding the territory."

"Right," Kion said.  "Thank you."

The heads of lions disappeared.

[Kion!]  Fuli's voice yelled in Kion's head.  [The leap's under attack!]