Chapter 7 - Orcs and Goblins

After we left Rivendell we walked across plains and hills until we started to ascend a group of mountains Balin was kind enough to tell me were called the Misty Mountains. He then told me we'd be climbing mountains and I had to admit I was not thrilled. As we climb up the Misty Mountains; the trail is narrow and dangerous, with a cliff on one side and a sheer drop on the other. There is a fierce storm in the air, with lightning and rain all around.

I shiver into my coat silently wishing I had something warmer. I was wearing a decent coat but now it was soaked, and I felt like a wet dog. I was suddenly starting to wish I had stayed in Rivendell. I glance at Bilbo who is walking ahead of me and think to myself that if he could do it so could I.

"Hold on!" Thorin calls from the head of our group making me glare at him.

Suddenly the stone beneath Bilbo's feet gives away, and he starts falling into the chasm.

"Bilbo!" I yell out as Dwalin turns back and manages to pull him back to his feet in time.

"We must find shelter!" Thorin calls out and I roll my eyes.

"No shit Sherlock." I say under my breath so he couldn't hear me.

"Watch out!" Dwalin yells out as they all look up to see a massive boulder hurtling through the air; it hits the mountainside above us, causing rocks to fall all around us as we press ourselves against the mountain.

"This is no thunderstorm; it's a thunder battle! Look!" Balin yells causing us all to follow his eyeline.

I stare in fear as what looked like a giant rock being rears up from a nearby mountain; it rips off a massive boulder from the top of the mountain.

"Well bless me, the legends are true. Giants; Stone Giants!" Bofur yells in excitement and I glare at him.

"Take cover: you'll fall!" Thorin calls to his kin.

Giant #1 throws the boulder far in the air; another stone giant, #2, appears from behind us and it is hit in the head. The dwarves yell at each other to brace and hold on, and the rocks beneath our feet begin to give way from all the vibrations and from the impact of the falling rocks. The ground between some of the Company members splits; part of the group is on one side, and part on the other.

"Kili! Grab my hand! Ki..." I hear Fili say from in front of me and I watch as they slowly fade from our view.

"Fili," I call making him turn to me. "Hold on." I add and he nods.

As the two stone giants fight with their fists, we hold on tight as we are flung around. Thorin's group manages to jump to a different spot. I feel something appear behind me and I turn to see a third stone giant appear. It throws a boulder at the head of one of the first two. That one falls over. I stare in fear at the side of the mountain as it starts to rush towards us. Before we hit it, I throw my hands out and make an indention in the mountainside saving us from death but not from inertia. We all fling forward onto the cliffside making me land hard on my back.

"No! No! Fili!" I hear Thorin yell as he rushes around the corner.

"We're all right! We're alive!" Balin breathes out making me let out a sigh of relief.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's the Hobbit?" Bofur asks and my eyes widen as I instantly jump to my feet to look for him.

"There!" Ori calls point to Bilbo who is dangling over the side of the cliff.

"Get him!" Dwalin yells making me reach down the ground and calling earth create a ledge for his feet to stand on but it's too slippery so he slips farther down. As the dwarves try to pull him up unsuccessfully, Thorin swings down on the cliff next to Bilbo and boost him up, where the others pull him to safety. Dwalin tries to lift Thorin back up too, but Thorin loses his grip and begins falling too; however, Dwalin, with much effort, is able to pull him back up.