The New Home

You were at home, your (e/c) eyes glazed over with tears.

You were expecting your parents back from their business trip tonight, but you recieved a phone call that changed everything.

--------------Hours before--------------

You felt your phone buzz in your pocket as you laid back on the couch, waiting for your parents to get home from their business trip in New York.

They should be here soon...

You picked up your phone, expecting it to be your mom or dad, but were surprised to see it was a private number.

Okay...

You decided to answer it, seeing as it could be your parents calling from one of those shitty pay phones or something.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this (f/n)? (f/n) (l/n)?" you heard a male voice on the other end, deep and serious, but completely unfamiliar.

"Yes, this is she," you replied, curious as to who this guy was and what he wanted.

"I'm sorry to say this, but your parents' flight back to California lost flight after major turbulance and crashed into the ocean several hours ago. There were no survivors."

"Wait--what?!"

Your phone nearly fell from your hands as you processed what the man had said, and waited for him to tell you it was a prank. A really sick prank.

"I do apologize again, but since you are not of age to live on your own, you will be sent to a foster home, seeing as all the orphanages in your area are full. Please pack everything you'd like to bring with you, escorts will take you to your new home tomorrow. Much luck, and have a good night Miss (l/n). Goodbye."

The man hung up before you had the chance to respond, and you could do nothing but hold the phone against your ear until you heard the monotonous dial tone on the other end.

--------------The next morning--------------

You sat back down on the couch after you finished packing, tears rolling down your cheeks as you held your backpack against your chest. You didn't have much to bring, other than the clothes that filled your drawers, a couple pairs of shoes and a picture of you and your parents, though you were leaving your phone behind.

The line would be dead, so what was the point in bringing it?

You thought back to the last time you saw your parents; you had dropped them off at the airport, wished them a safe trip and sent your love their way before heading back home. You were thankful that the last text you'd sent to them was one filled with smiley faces and other stupid emoticons, telling them to come home soon and that you missed them. You were glad they knew you loved them, though that didn't help your broken heart any,

You leaned on the arm of the couch, staring at the floor below you until you heard several knocks at the door.

You sighed before standing up and slinging your backpack over your shoulder, glancing around the room as you dragged yourself to the door.

Well, here goes nothing, you thought as you opened the door and looked at the couple in front of you.

"Hello...is this (f/n)(l/n)?" a woman with brown hair and big brown eyes to match asked.

You could only nod and stare up at her with dull eyes, swallowing the lump beginning to form in your throat again.

"Alright. Well, I'm Hanji Zoe, but you can call me Hanji--or Zoe--whichever you prefer!"the woman giggled enthusiastically.