Chapter 2

When I got to physics class, I sat down in my normal seat: right in the middle. People always run towards the back to avoid the loud demon, but I knew from past history classes that Capitals are usually established near the middle of the state to avoid outside invasions. The emotional scars and daily crying of Kyle, Jenny, and all the other loud-mouthed students is proof of my theory. But I was unfazed. I have built strategies for dealing with people like Ms. Freit. I figure that if Ms. Freit is going to harass everyone else, I can at least try to absorb some of that verbal abuse. Since it usually doesn't affect me, the teacher ends up wasting her time and others don't get yelled at. So, when six students, including me, are late, I groan and disturb the teacher so that her negative energy is focused on me and no one else. And, in effect, I make sure to disrupt her, but not too much.

Now, Ms. Freit was a special person. While she had a high tolerance for BSing, she had a low tolerance for her job, thus negating her high tolerance. When I'm not trying to bother her, I try to filter Ms. Freit's rampant vulgar language and yelling to receive a relatively cogent lecture. I always failed.

"Okay?! Everyone, do you get this?" She said, condescendingly. It was nearing the end of the lecture. "It's easy, you morons. Honestly, how in the hell are you guys this dumb? We're almost done with class and you still have questions? Put your hands down." She demanded. In fear, everyone obeyed. "I expect every single one of you to understand this by next class." For real? Next class is tomorrow. Her annoying rant escalated to yelling. "Guys, I am teaching here. That's my job." She extended her arm and pointed at the room with her hand. "You guys are students, so frekin' learn or get out of my class." I sighed, apparently loud enough for her bat ears to pick up on.

"Why, you...you...you..." She was pointing at me now. She directed me to the door. "GET OUT OF MY CLASS!" Well, it seems that I may have crossed her threshold.

My face flushed as I got up, put my head down, grabbed my backpack, and slowly walked out of class. When I was out of class, my pocket vibrated. I reached into my right jean pocket to get out my huge phone. Even with my miniature hands, the pocket was still too small for me to comfortably reach there. I swear, every time I try to grab my phone, I feel like I'm on a mission. It didn't help either that my phone was giant. At nearly 7 inches tall, the sharp corners pierced my right hip. After struggling, I took out my phone and turned it on.

"2 New Messages" it read. That was 2 more messages than I had gotten this entire month. I unlocked my phone and it was from an unknown number. Who is this? I thought at first. The messages read as follows:

"hey ur gonna come 2morrow, rite"

"btw this is Tabetha if ur wondering"

I was happy that she had my number, but I wondered where she had gotten it. I didn't mention my phone number to anyone or even mention that I had a phone to anyone. More importantly, though, what was she talking about?

I had a dilemma here. On one hand, damn that girl, but on the other hand, holy crap that's some creepy stuff. My minimum-effort philosophy told me to ignore it. After all, I'm already going to need to sort crap out with Physics. Why add more to my plate? Conversely, though, since losing my best friend years ago, I have been hoping for another connection.

The bell rang. Great, time for English. Well, at least English is easy and comparably reasonable. I walked through the halls with my phone in my hand as I continued to look at it. That was a big mistake. I heard a thump as I was unable to move. I looked up. He towered over me like a sort of Goliath. I saw his eyebrows plunge towards his eyelids. He dilated his pupils and stared at me. I was nearly frozen of shock. This dude was too large to even be in High School. He must have weighed at least a quarter of a ton. I saw his massive belly protrude from his way-too-small XXXL shirt. He smelled of roadkill. My shocked face slowly turned into a nervous smile, hoping this kind gentleman would step away so that I may continue my journey to English class. The next thing I saw was the flash of a scarred and tattooed fist coming at me faster than I can blink.