Chapter 11

Tabetha was lying down on the shoulder of the road and I sat next to her. I handed her the

phone and, after about the third try, she managed to grab the phone and put it up to her ear. But, she passed out shortly before she could say anything. So, I picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I said. "Sorry, she passed out." I was furious for several reasons, but the tragedy of the situation broadened my anger, and I just wanted to get out of this whole thing. "So, what should I do?"

Operator: Are you injured?

Me: My right leg is bleeding quite a bit. But there's no pain.

The more I focused on it, the more I felt like fainting. I looked at Tabetha.

Me: Oh my God!

Operator: What is it?

Me: Tabetha, her...her arms are covered in blood!

I felt like puking. I stared at her right arm. "Is that...is that bone?" What was just a shock ended with me yelling in horror.

Operator: Okay, try to stay calm. Everything will be okay. We will be sending first aid your way shortly.

I sat down next to Tabetha. My anger was boiling inside, but mostly I was scared. It's funny how just one encounter can change everything. Eventually, I lifted my head away from the pile of blood that oozed onto the asphalt, and I just stared into the distance, watching all the cars speed past us. In what seemed like hours later, I noticed the ambulance approaching us. Oddly enough, there was only one ambulance and no one else.