Chapter 23

By now, it was obvious that this Brianna was, indeed, my Brianna. She always liked to clean — hence the spilled milk and my apartment. Brianna's shakiness probably came from the car crash, which, fortunately, she survived. And if I recall correctly, her birthday was around this time. I wondered if she remembered me, though.

"Happy birthday!" I announced, as she entered my house. We had previously agreed to party on her birthday.

"Oooo, what's this?" Brianna asked, curiously.

"Flowers." I said.

"For?"

"It's your birthday. Remember?"

But she didn't remember. As she had explained to me, she had occasional memory problems. In fact, she had no idea why she came to my house. She stepped in, asking why she was here. I told her.

I handed her the flowers and witnessed her shaky hand grabbing them with acceptance and joy. But I could still sense the anxiety she still had with me. That anxiety immediately dissipated, though, when I asked what she wanted to do for her birthday.

"DONUTS!" She screamed. I agreed, but I honestly expected something a little more extravagant. But, oh, the excitement in her voice. The positivity was so uplifting.

And, so, we went. We deliberated over several Donut places, including the generic The Donut Place, to which Brianna replied, "No, that's too generic."

"Fair enough."

"What about Dunkin Donuts?" I asked. She agreed, and we were off.