Chapter 22

"Where are we going?" I asked, as Brianna grabbed my arm and rushed to my car.

"I don't know yet!" Her high-pitched voice was so optimistic, I honestly didn't care where we were going.

"Wanna go to the arcade?" I suggested, unlocking my car.

"Sure," I don't think she cared either. "I don't remember being this excited for anything."

We got in my car and it was nighttime, and I thought for a moment about Ashley. I thought about how she promised me happiness and how, instead, she gave me drugs and stole my kidney. I chuckled a little at that last part.

I laughed hysterically. "She stole my kidney!" I slapped my knee. "Can you believe that?"

"Huh?" She asked, confused.

I anticipated her regret in the simple question, 'Huh?' Regardless, I unleashed. I told Brianna everything about the past few years from Wallykazoo to the car crash to Ashley's death. As I started venting, I began crying. Great, I killed the excitement.

"Oh, it's okay." She said, caringly as I rested my head against her shoulder. "I'm sorry." I sniffled. "This is so embarrassing."

"No, no. It's okay. It's okay." The warmth of her shoulder — apparently with old bruises — was comforting.

"Do you wanna go home?" She asked. I knew it. She was going to leave me.

"Honestly, I don't wanna be alone right now."

"No, I mean, like, with me. We can maybe watch a movie and just chill. Watch something sad and have a good cry together."

That sounded nice. But then I remembered I was pretty much the only one in my house for the past few years and everything was a mess.

"Everything's a mess, though."

"I won't judge." She said. And she wasn't lying. We went to my house and sat on my stained couch and watched TV above a floor covered in cans, clothes and clutter.

"Kind of looks like my apartment." She joked. "What do you want to watch?"

"No idea." I said.

Despite the trash that was my house, no one can argue that my couch wasn't comfy. And, believe me, it was. In fact, we settled on Up, which she somehow had in her jacket pocket. Before watching, though, Brianna insisted on helping me clean up my house. I complied, and we spent an hour cleaning it up. Then, as we watched Up, we fell asleep on the couch, crying. But they were, at least for me, tears of joy.