Chapter 12

The EMTs jumped out of the ambulance and rushed to Tabetha. She was in very bad condition. I could barely look at her or the pool of blood that lie beneath her. However, the EMTs seemed unfazed. It

makes sense, I guess. I mean, I'm sure they've seen worse.

"Should I go with her?" I asked.

"It is possible that you have sustained injuries as well." One of the EMTs looked at me, helping Tabetha onto the stretcher with the other EMT. "We can carry both of you inside the vehicle."

Now, I could be wrong, but if my memory serves correctly, then there was no way two injured people would go into the same ambulance. And there is no way that only a single pair of EMTs with one vehicle shows up for two people in a car accident. Also, where were the police? I must admit, I was relieved that there were none. After all, Tabetha wasn't sober as she drove. But this whole thing seemed out of place to me.

After Tabetha was placed in the back of the ambulance, the paramedic and EMT brought out another stretcher. I opened my mouth to say that I didn't need one of those, but, before I could say anything, I found myself already lying down on it, limbs restrained at the ends of the stretcher. What the hell? Why wasn't she restrained as well? At this point, there was no use in arguing. They moved me next to Tabetha, closed the doors and, at this point, it was just us two and the paramedic in the back.

I turned my head to Tabetha. Eventually, she opened her eyes, discombobulated. I expected confusion. However, instead, she turned to me and managed a spaced out and quiet, "I'm...I'm sorry."

Our stretchers aligned next to each other in the back of the ambulance. I lied to the right of her and as I forced my neck to turn my head towards hers, I noticed her scars from the crash. I then looked up at the ceiling, closed my eyes and, for a moment, embraced the situation. We'll be fine. I told myself. I felt a rush of compassion rush through my body. Despite my restraints, I attempted to reach my strapped left hand to her right, but, as if on cue, she passed out.

I'm going to be honest, I don't remember much beyond that. I might have passed out as well, or...or something. But, well, I woke up in a hospital bed. Again.