04.

04.
his fading song

On the last Monday of every month, the detectives were scheduled to come in late. There was no particular reason for this hiccup in their routines, only the station's flimsy statement — that this was their way of rewarding the detectives for all their 'hard work'.

Yet Yeosang never followed the print and rather, came to work even earlier. The reason being was that he spent those few hours of peace tidying, motivated by his favorite smooth jazz station and a strong dark brew.

The grey sky would lighten in that time and on occasion, he'd receive a knock at the office door. When opened, he usually would be met with some starry eyed intern, who'd have a small bouquet clasped between painted hands.

Though, these flowery gifts were never for Yeosang. Instead, they were addressed to one of the detectives' many clients, who happen to use this Monday as his monthly meeting.

Their client's name was Jeong Yunho, a childhood friend of Yeosang's. He worked at one of the city's most prestigious colleges as a professor, where he taught half-asleep students psychology. During lectures, he ran a tight ship but every student knew that under his seemingly rugged teacher's exterior, he had a heart of gold.

If someone were to claim Yunho was the sweetest person to walk these dull streets, no one would dare argue. He practically put every pastry shop to shame with his award-winning smile.

He quickly became a hot topic around the police station — much like his college — and soon, Yeosang's small crowd of staff arriving unusually early, wasn't so small anymore. It became a tourist attraction, as every girl and guy came together to reroute their morning walk, just to welcome him.

And Yeosang hadn't even addressed the astounding crowd that milled in the lobby when he walked Yunho outside — it was a field day, to say the least.

Hence, he became the station's accidental heartthrob over the years and the man didn't even work here. If young adults acted this way around his dear friend, Yeosang could only imagine the amount of unneeded attention Yunho received surrounded by easily swayed  students.

The serene silence could only last so long now, as their appointment time drew nearer and nearer with every empty tick. And soon, a flurry of sugar-coated cooing floated down the hallway and just barely drowned out the jazz. A knock followed short after the commotion, Yeosang striding to open the door and save his friend from further bother.

Yunho never said he didn't appreciate the warm welcome, but Yeosang always pitied him for the amount of attention he always garnered. He was an ordinary man!