13.

13.
an unexpected turn of events

The night passed by in a dreamless limbo, Yeosang waking the next morning with dewy eyes. Warm light trickled through the curtained window, casting an irregular patch over the messy bed sheets. Mingi and San were nestled protectively at Yeosang's sides, their small bodies tightly curled to retain any remnants of heat — the covers were only draped over their feet.

Scenes from yesterday wasted no time to resurface, from the relaxing afternoon spent at the beach to the thunderous confrontation that sealed Yeosang's fate. The detective's gaze wandered between the two boys, sadness beginning to weigh heavily on his chest. He wanted to rouse them and tell them he was leaving today, to urge them to join him.

But he remembered what Jongho said about boundaries and if Yeosang truly cared about them — about him — then he wouldn't interfere with things.

Biting his own tongue, Yeosang crawled out from under the covers and carefully shuffled to the closet. He opened it to reveal an extensive wardrobe ranging from the most expensive tuxedos and gowns to the simplest patterned t-shirt. And at the end of the rack, hung a familiar ensemble consisting of a button up, a pair of slacks and a long trench coat — a detective's uniform which Yeosang would dawn again today.

He began changing into the outfit and in the midst of buttoning his shirt, received a knock on the door. He looked at the door expectantly, his lips glued shut but giving silent permission for whoever it was to come in.

Jongho peeked his head into the dormant room, scanning the calming picture until his emotionless face landed on Yeosang. He greeted the detective with a curt nod before loudly whispering, "Come downstairs when you've changed. The train's expecting us." Then, he closed the door and left Yeosang to his preparations.

The interaction happened like the pair were complete strangers, which was somehow worse than the silent treatment the detective was expecting.

Yeosang continued readying himself silently, trying not to let any sign of emotion break the visage he temporarily hid behind. It wasn't that leaving this parallel universe was difficult (if he squinted hard enough, he could practically see the dreary city), but leaving Mingi and San behind, leaving Jongho behind — that was the difficult part.

Perhaps if he hadn't spent so much time attending to the children and assisting Jongho, things could've been different. Suppose he wouldn't be leaving alone today, but rather with the company of Jongho and the children.

Though he was nowhere near that fantasy and even if he was desperate enough to pursue it, that meant stooping to Jongho's level of whisking children away. Which practically made him as much of an unintentional criminal as the conductor.