10.

10.
strangely accustomed

"Yeosangie! Wake up, wake up!"

Mingi bursted through the door of a quiet room, where soft sunlight was bathing a cushy bed. A motionless lump was noticeable under the covers, face hidden and brown hair swirling over a crumpled pillow. It turned the other way upon hearing Mingi, groaning annoyedly in response.

"Yeosangie! I know you're awake! Come on!" The boy pressed, quickly crawling on top of the bed and jumping on it to rouse the drowsy detective. A low grumble bubbled in Yeosang's throat, eventually prompting him to open his eyes and peel the blankets away from his torso. He finally revealed his disheveled self to the world — in the moment, being Mingi — who giggled at his messy state.

"Good morning Yeosangie." Mingi cooed in joy, lowering himself before wiggling to sit beside the detective. All the while, Yeosang adjusted himself upright against the headboard. Then when Mingi finally settled, the detective jostled his hair in greeting.

"Good morning Mingi," He hummed lowly, blinking through half-lidded eyes. "How did you sleep?"

"Good! And you?" The boy chirped, his face scrunching up gleefully at Yeosang's continued gesture.

"Better then last night." He chuckled, Mingi catching its fluttering contagiousness and beginning to giggle too.

Since beginning to watch over Wooyoung weeks prior to now, the detective's sleep schedule has been all over the place. It was only recent when he finally started catching those fleeting hours again.

Yet, it quickly deteriorated when Yeosang arrived at the conductor's house less than a week ago. In that time span, the conductor already went back on his word too. Yeosang was not only put through the wringer, he was put through the wringer and then some.

Though, the conductor wasn't always at fault. If he requested Yeosang to complete a task, from cooking to cleaning, he'd always help. And for that fact, the previously thought single-handed job became a team effort.

What Yeosang didn't think to expect was that the children would see him as another beacon of assistance. If Jongho wasn't around, they'd naturally opt to ask the detective for help when he walked by in search of some much needed downtime. And every time it happened — which was often — the detective swore he heard the conductor chuckling from somewhere else in the house.

While these minuscule tasks piled escalated into unneeded work, Yeosang didn't mind it. Most of the attention, anyway, was begged from Mingi and San. They dragged the detective everywhere and pleaded with him to do whatever they requested.