05.

05.
a flicker of hope

Since Yunho and Sorin left, Yeosang had been contemplating her words and considering the probability of her mysterious friend's existence. Whenever any rare piece of evidence turned up, Yeosang always received a sudden burst of motivation from it.

Throughout the day then, he'd slip in and out of the detective's office to poll police officers (whom he envied so) knowingly positioned around the subway station on seventh, if they've noticed a recurring character.

But, they simply shook their heads and let the artificial light catch their shimmering badges in motion.

A familiar pang of self-doubt would prod at Yeosang's stomach, reminding him that without a solid lead, his dream was truly dead. It'd permanently lay in a self-made casket, wrapped in glistening childhood memories and hours of hard work and be buried in the depths of his heart.

Though, he quickly ignored those toxic emotions — an unhealthy habit, but one that helped him continue to hold his head and hopes high after each authoritarian interaction.

He paced the room now, his coworkers each occupying a cushy seat. Seonghwa was sitting cross legged in one and beside him, Wooyoung was fast asleep and dewy faced as usual.

The awake pair were deeply immersed in a conversation, one that irritated both Seonghwa and Yeosang in different ways. The younger had told his fellow detective about Sorin's story and Seonghwa — being a concerned and caring friend — was offering insight for action on this supposed-

"Lead? Could you even classify some girl's daydream as a lead?" Seonghwa questioned harshly, pressing a hand to his cheek.

"She's not just any girl, Seonghwa." Yeosang sighed, stopping in front of their shared desk and leaning back on the darkened wood.

"I know that, but she's still a child. For all we know, she could be just like Wooyoung. Delusional, in the sense that she imagines things that'll never happen because they involve people who aren't here." He was referring to the door dilemma.

"That doesn't mean we shouldn't take a chance on it. I know you're skeptical, but this is the first solid" — a term used loosely — "lead we've had in a year! And this time, it's not from some nonaffiliated man off the street."

"Still, don't get your hopes up too high only to fall ungracefully. I've seen it happen too many times before and frankly, I don't think I can beat anymore sadness." Seonghwa sighed, scratching his head and looking over at the sleeping Wooyoung with a frown. "Besides, I thought you were planning to resign soon."