11.

11.
down by the shore

In the bay of the subway station, the children milled around the platform with unchained anticipation and excitement. It ran from the soles of their bouncing feet to the farthest reaches of their fingertips, electricity releasing with every eager clap.

As Yeosang and Jongho carefully moved through the crowd, matching bags thrown over their shoulders, the children began to quiet. They knew what it meant when Jongho reached the edge of that platform, his hand extending to take San's.

A hush fell over the station, the distant rustling of leaves and flowers from above filling the empty space. Jongho let his eyes flutter close, San following suit and soon, the conductor raised a gloved hand.

Yeosang hardly blinked when a familiar subway train blew into the station with such gusto, the detective thought he'd be blown away. The children began to cheer in chorus around him, skipping forward as the metallic doors slid open with a familiar jingle to reveal a warm compartment.

Quickly, they crammed into the carts, overtaking the cushions and the shorter ends of the upright holding poles. Mingi ran up beside Yeosang, intertwining their grasps and leading him after Jongho and San, who were striding over to the first cart.

Once everyone was safely inside and situated for the ride, the bell rang again and the doors closed. Then, they peeled out of the station and became engulfed in darkness. Yeosang was sitting across from San and Jongho in the starless tunnel, feeling Mingi wiggle excitedly at his side.

Suddenly, the compartment became filled with a dazzling light. The children oohed and aahed at the windows, standing on the cushions to look out over the scenery.

Yeosang turned around to see what was so interesting, his jaw nearly dropping at the sight. The train was gliding over the surface of a large body of water, creating gentle waves in its presence. The sun blared overhead, making the ripples sparkle like diamonds and that's when the detective realized something:

This was his first time seeing the ocean.

He pressed his face against the window in newfound wonder, round eyes quick to curiously take in everything. Just under the water's crystal clear surface, Yeosang could catch sight of small schools of fish weaving amongst long weeds of kelp. Their submerged stocks danced freely under the current, unburdened by the weight of the world.

"Yeosangie? What is it?" Mingi spoke up beside him, the detective pulling his gaze away from the window to see the boy staring at him confusedly. His large straw hat was on the verge of covering his eyes, but his fluffy hair prevented its fall.