12.

12.
second confrontation

Not long after sunset, Yeosang, Jongho and the children began their short walk back to the train station. Little hands and heads were pressed against one another, infectious yawns fluttering through the group and causing unnecessarily tears to form in their eyes.

Mingi was sleeping soundly against Yeosang's chest while San quietly patterned alongside the detective, their grasps intertwined. Jongho was leading the quiet group along, glancing back every now and then to gaze upon Yeosang's glum face.

He couldn't help but frown at the detective's expression, suppressing an icky feeling that began to knot his stomach as they approached the station. Everyone crowded onto the stone platform, huddling underneath the glass awning as thunder rumbled in the far distance.

Jongho didn't wait to raise his hand and summon a subway train which came barreling through the trees in a moment's notice. The children lightly jogged into the carts, crawling back to familiar velvet benches and sinking into cushions to relax their tired muscles.

Yeosang was last to board with Mingi and San, sitting across from Jongho's usual spot. It felt like everyone had become strangers when the subway door closed with a subdued ring and pulled out of the outdoor station in the opposite direction. Though, small talk began to swirl around the children as they recalled their fun afternoon.

Yeosang remained silent, rubbing comforting circles on Mingi's back and observing San, who had fallen asleep against him. Though he still somehow managed to duck in and out of the children's pointless conversations, creating odd strings of incoherent words in his mind.

Jongho went back observing Yeosang like earlier, elbows propped against his knees to support his weight as he leaned forward. The conductor didn't know what reserved air suddenly fell over Yeosang, but he didn't like it. He missed seeing Yeosang infatuated by his world, hearing his small gasps and giggles at the scenery — the detective was a precious child in Jongho's eyes.

"Jongho." The conductor immediately perked up when Yeosang called his name, meeting the boy's darkened eyes with his off guard expression. "We need to talk once we get home and put everyone to bed." It was hard for Jongho to ignore the knot in his stomach now as Yeosang locked their gazes with such intensity, the conductor squirmed in his seat. He bit the inside of his cheek to compose himself, then slowly nodded his head at the request "Sure," was all he could manage without looking visibly worried.

The rest of the train ride was passed in silence, the compartment lights beginning to dim as the night wore on. They had since broken away from the coverage of the trees, now riding along the outskirts of mountain valleys that overlooked the ocean. The moon shined brightly in the sky, heavier clouds beginning to obscure its light and fracture it across the land. Eventually, the train became dark again as they entered a mountain tunnel. Then, it became flooded by soft light and that's when everyone knew they had arrived home after an eventful day.