14.

14.
return to the seventh station

When the subway entered the tunnel, an uneasiness between passengers began to sizzle and overtake the rattling compartments.

Yeosang had turned to face the black window behind him, fixated on familiar stars that shot across the void. He immediately shrivelled away from Mingi the instant the golden lights dimmed, fear having spiked every bone in his body. The detective couldn't bear to hold Mingi any longer with the possibility of him growing cold or disappearing into thin air — either option was guaranteed to shatter his already trembling heart.

So, their skinship had been reduced to a simple hand hold.

For some reason, Yeosang found that having some sort of connection — an indication of Mingi's presence — grounded him in a reassuring and terrifying way.

As for Jongho, he silently observed Yeosang, as always. But unlike the detective, the conductor had the guts to watch Mingi from the corner of his eye. The boy was clutching onto Yeosang's hand reassuringly, his ankles twisted and his bottom lip bitten in anxiety.

Something odd had begun to course through Mingi's veins — something that felt like an energized chill, warm and frantically bouncing around his body.

It made his arms and legs twitch involuntarily and made his bones feel like they were exploding and repairing themselves at the same time. A whimper of discomfort escaped his lips and caused something to trigger in Yeosang, as the detective suddenly snatched his hand away. Mingi couldn't see his face, but the detective was ghostly pale and on the brink of tears.

Starved of Yeosang's touch, Mingi sunk his teeth deeper into his lower lip to prevent any more painful sounds. The boy looked around fearfully, gaze eventually locking with Jongho's, who silently begged for him to hold on.

Mingi nodded aggressively, grasping onto the velvet cushions as the bursting feeling in his body continued. Whatever this uncomfortable sensation was, Mingi didn't like it one bit and wished more than anything for it to stop.

But he had to remember that full succumbination wasn't an option unless he never wanted to see Jongho or Yeosang or anyone ever again.

After a few moments more, the lights began to flicker. The flashes were sporadic at first, managing to briefly grab Yeosang's wary attention before they became rapid. A soft gasp managed to bypass Mingi's lips, the boy suddenly feeling himself being pulled in a hundred different directions.

The dying lights distracted Mingi from his body being pulled apart, but another bone burst always pulled him back into his flesh until another flash of light snatched him again.