Played for Fools

Fred can't tell if things are real are not. He feels like his whole body is on fire, one of the explosions caught him. He feels like a fire bird trying to fly. Dead people appear to visit him after he enters a pool of water. The dead want to take him with them, but the pain is holding him back. Then he's alone. Time seems to stand still until the drugs come. Then he returns to a painful earth. He's really injured, but he'll live. He comes back into reality with a bang during a visit from Coin. Coin reiterates her promise that Fred can kill Snow. Fred loses his voice. He finds out what else happened, that Coin is in charge and Snow got captured by Cassandra and the Figglejays. Fred gets sent to his mother. They're staying in Snow's old mansion. He can't bear to look at himself or think about what happened. Soon, it will be time to kill Snow. One day, Fred is wandering around and ends up in a part of the palace that's full of roses. He realizes that's where Snow is being held. He wants to see him but the guards won't let him. Then, Commander Paylor intercedes on his behalf. Fred is about to pick a rose for Snow to wear when he kills him, when he hears his voice. He apologizes about Holly and Judy and tells Fred that the side that killed the children, girls and the medics was not his, but the rebels'. With horror, Fred realizes that the weaponry Bertha helped design is what ended up killing Holly and Judy. Snow says it was Coin's plan all along, she's a manipulator who played both him and Fred, so she could rise to power. Fred doesn't want it to be real, but Snow says it is.