Chapter Thirty-One

As the last days of summer quickly shifted into a crisp autumn, Percy and Annabeth grew restless. Although they had anything they ever wanted and more, they couldn't help but feel unsatisfied.

Then, as if to push them over the edge, they received the annual call from Chiron at Camp Half-Blood.

Annabeth was hesitant to pick up the phone as she knew it would be an invitation back to camp to be a head counselor or an instructor. Chiron knew they were too old to accept either of those, but it was a chance to pull them back into the demigod world.

"Hey, Chiron," Annabeth spoke into the phone. She carefully and masterfully placed it on her shoulder and smushed her face against to to secure the phone in place.

She walked over to where her daughter, Marina, sat in front of the television, her eyes transfixed on the screen.

She sighed as she scooped her up and walked her over to her high chair, kissing her head after placing her down.

"Ah, Annabeth Chase. The world renowned architect," Chiron replied, making Annabeth smile warmly. "I'm surprised I even have your number."

Annabeth chuckled. "It'll be years before I forget about you, Chiron. So, why are you calling? I assume you're trying to get me to become an instructor again, huh?"

"Quite the opposite, my dear." Annabeth frowned. What does he mean? "I'm calling you on business. Business about your daughter."

Annabeth dropped the bottle she'd been carrying. Her voice went scratchy and nervous. "Oh? You-you wanna speak to her personally? She's really good at crying."

She could hear Chiron's sigh and she knew he was thinking of how to break the news to her. He wanted her daughter at camp, and soon.

"I'll be glad to meet her, but now I think we must discuss," he said, his voice growing grave. "I understand you might not want to hear this, but she is powerful, Annabeth. The granddaughter of Poseidon and of Athena. She was never meant to exist because their rivalry."

"I know." Annabeth's voice was hollow. "But I've been praying a lot, and I don't see any signs-"

"It doesn't matter what you've been doing," Chiron snapped. Annabeth blinked. "I'm sorry, my child, but she is dangerous. She has great power in her, not just from the Gods. You and Percy are heroes, and although she is a legacy, she still inherited your powers. Both of them."

Annabeth swallowed, her throat suddenly feeling right. "I k-know. I know I'll have to send her to camp, but do we have to t-think of that now? I mean, she-she's not even a month o-old...."

Chiron cleared his throat. "And this is the bad news. I foresee that many powers will seek to recruit her, good and evil. You should send her camp early, get her trained. Teach her to control her powers, not to abuse them."

"You think we could raise a traitor?" Annabeth asked, suddenly offended.

"You're misinterpreting my words, Annabeth," he declared. "You know I'm not suggesting that or trying to offend you."

She bit her lip and pushed a lock of her golden curls out of her face. She sat besides her daughter and watched as she giggled, a wide grin upon her face.

She could never be evil.

"I know you're right, Chiron, but this is a conversation for later," she replied.

"I suggest you bring her to camp at the age of seven, before the monsters start to pursue her."

Annabeth blinked and tried to restrain her anger. "I'll-I'll consider it, but she's my daughter, and she is not dangerous."