Twenty Six

Billy stood again with a tool belt around his waist, this time in Joyce's backyard. He stood staring at the shed she had asked him to fix up, it leaned slightly to the left, the door hinges almost falling off. Billy was slightly puzzled on what to do, his lips puckered out in concentration as he tapped the pencil in his hand off of his mouth.

"So?", Joyce asks hopeful, "can you fix it?" she says, her hands squeezed together as she looked up at Billy.

"Well, it's not gonna be easy. This thing is pretty run down, and I'll have to probably fix the wood on the inside a bit, and there's a ton to do with the tilt and hinges..."

Joyce's face dropped slightly, and Billy couldn't help but smile and let out a small laugh, because of course he was joking with her.

"I'm kidding, Joyce. Don't you worry, I'll have this shed fixed up in no time."

Joyce smiles gratefully and pulled Billy into a hug much to his surprise, something he still had to get used to, but he hugged her back.

"Thank you Billy, you're a lifesaver!", Joyce tells him, and Billy felt warm and happy inside, he was a lifesaver. He knew it was just an expression, but to him it was everything.

It was simple work for him really, he was a strong boy; and he enjoyed it. It helped him keep his mind off things.

He had it fixed up in less than two hours, and stepped back to check it over, wiping the sweat from his forehead and running his fingers through his curls.

"Billy! This looks amazing!"

Billy turns around to see Joyce smiling behind him, squeezing his shoulders in thanks.

"Thank you, Mrs. Byers."

"Billy I've told you how many times you can call me Joyce", she laughed.

Billy only smiled in response as Joyce mumbled a "such a gentleman."

Billy went to pack up his tools and place them back in his belt when Joyce called out for him again.

"Oh and Billy", he looked over to her, "someone's here to see you."

Billy looked from her smile as she went inside to the back door, where Steve stood leaning against the railing; smirking at him.

Billy couldn't help the smile from creeping across his face, but he shook his head at how no matter what he did, Steve always looked cute and dorky. But he was his dork.

And before he knew it Steve was a few feet away from him and walking closer, pulling Billy in closer by looping his pointer finger through Billy's belt.

"Pretty boy", Steve murmured, and Billy scoffed.

"We both know that's you."

Steve opened his mouth to reply, but Billy's lips met his top quickly and silenced him, but who was Steve to complain?

Steve found himself admiring the shed Billy fixed up and kissed his temple,
"You know she's so grateful for you", he says.

"Joyce?"

"Yeah. She was going on and on about how your so amazing and quick and always there when she needs something. She wants you to stay for dinner; both of us actually."

Billy smiles, "well who am I to turn down a free home cooked meal?"

Steve laughs lightly and pulls Billy in to kiss him once more, before heading inside for dinner.