Chapter 8

I blink open my eyes, hearing a beeping noise. I sit up, running my hands through my black hair. Wait ... hair? I look down to see my (s/c) hands, then my legs. I was wearing a hospital gown, I erupted into coughs, pain shooting through my chest.

I then look around the room, seeing it was similar to a surgical room. I move my feet over the table, stepping down to the ground. "Was that all ... a dream?" I said, my voice slightly raspy. I begin to walk only to feel something pulling on my arm and fingers. I look down to see cords connected to a screen and a packet of clear liquids.

I yank the cords off, turning off the screen quickly, then walked out of the room. I look down the hallway, looking around. I hear talking coming from the right, I walk in the direction of the sound. "So you're saying someone mixed and animals soul with a human soul?" I hear a familiar deep voice ask.

"Possibly, but I am not for sure. Her soul seems fully human, no hint of an animal soul." An unfamiliar voice answers. I look around the corner to see Sans standing next to a yellow dinosaur, looking at a screen with a light teal heart on it.

"IS SHE AWAKE YET? I'M BEGINNING TO RUN OUT OF PATIENCE." Papyrus walked into view.

I was about to walk out, until I realized I was still human. I gulped, Papyrus has always talked about catching a human, giving their soul to the king so they could see the surface. Sans turned around looking in my direction, I quickly hid behind the wall.

"I don't think you have to wait long boss." I hear Sans says. "C'mon out kitten, I know you're there." I hear Sans say.

I sigh, walking into view, rubbing my arm shyly. "HOW ARE YOU FEELING SHADOWSTRIKE!?" Papyrus asked, standing in front of me.

"Good, my chest is a bit sore." I answer, a bit confused and cautious.

Sans and Papyrus looked at me with wide eyes, I take a step back. "W-what is it?" I ask, looking at them with worry.

"It's just, I never heard your voice before." Sans mumbled in awe.

The yellow dinosaur pushed herself between the two skeletons, looking up at me adjusting her swirly glasses. "You look ... human?" The yellow dinosaur asked herself.

"Y-yes?" I answer in return.

"Aren't y-you a Neko?" The yellow dinosaur asked.

"Um ... no. That's anime, I-I'm what they call a h-hybrid. I think." I say, looking at the short dinosaur with uncertainty. I honestly don't know what the doctor calls us, mostly its disappointments or something along those lines.

"Hm? I guess y-you're r-right. Come here for a-a m-moment." The yellow dinosaur took my hand and dragged me over towards the teal heart that was on the screen. "Me and Sans w-were able t-to fix your s-soul so you didn't have to s-stay in y-your cat form." The yellow dinosaur said.

Ah, that's why. The last experiment he messed with my soul more than usual, it was extremely painful. "You were once human correct?" She asked.

"I ... think so?" I say, unsure. I never really knew if I started out as human, cat, dog, bacteria, I honestly never knew. I simply assume I was a human first, my brother said we were once human till the doctor messed around with our souls and physical forms.

"Hm ... how was this supposed to happen?" I hear her question herself.

"Combination of souls at a young age." I answer her, placing my hand on the soul.

"How young?" I hear Sans ask.

"From birth." I answer. "I'm not the only one that's like this either, the doctor has many. He's looking for something, I just don't know what."