1

He's right there. He's so close to me, and he's looking into my eyes and at my lips, and his mouth is hanging open, and I just want to reach down and shut it.

I bring my head down closer to his and blink.

I must be dreaming. If not, I'm just embarrassing myself.

But the fire all around us is real.

I close my eyes and move closer to his lips . . . .

And then he breaks the distance.

Simon Snow kissed Basilton Pitch. Simon and Baz dated for one year, and Baz was in love with him. Is in love with him.

But Simon isn't.

Simon Snow just broke up with me.

I don't know where I'm supposed to go now. To my flat, I suppose, but I can't think about walking inside, knowing Snow isn't behind me, and he won't be the next time or the time after that.

I should go home. To Fiona's place, maybe, I don't know.

I put my hands on the steering wheel, but I don't start the car.

I can't . . .

I can't lose him.

I've lost him.

What he said to me . . . "Things that match don't always fit."

Because last year—

Last year I told him that we matched, that we were both wrecks . . .

But I guess we don't fit.

I need a drink.

I practically fall out of the car when I open it, collapsing on the pavement outside Simon's— no, Snow's flat.

I stumble around the corner of the building, out to the thin forest behind the complex. I wander deep into the trees, completely silently, but I hear nothing. Literally nothing.

I just need a drink right now, and I can't even get that.

I pull out my wand and cast, "Doe, a deer!" with as much confidence as I can muster up. Which is not much, really. The spell doesn't go very far; I'm exhausted.

There's no way I'm going to find anything more than a squirrel, and I could drain ten.

I lean against a tree. My vision is blurring, and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm going to fall . . . .

Stay awake, Pitch.

I've got to find something.

My nose twitches, and I snap my head around.

The scent of blood is so strong, so luscious, I tear my way through the trees to find the source. It's become so powerful, I can't think. I just want, no, I need it.

It's burning in my throat and in my nose and in my eyes.

I can sense the warmth, the life, near me, and I'm racing through the expanse of thin trees until I've finally got it.

I've finally got my teeth in its throat.

I bite down and immediately taste the coppery, rich flavour that's unimaginably filling.

I've never tasted anything like it.

And then I'm pulled back to the world, and I hear the most ripping scream that I've heard in my entire life.