Epilogue

I can barely cling onto Lucy's hand when she readies herself to send me back home.

Oh, home.

"Basilton."

I look up with widened eyes.

"My gift to you is to send you homeward. Tell my Simon this, tell him everything, tell him who I am and how I love him." Lucy speaks quietly. "Please," she adds.

"I will, I will," I assure her painfully, in desperate need of blood to fill me.

"My gift," she repeats, and then she puts both firm hands on my shoulders.

And that's when I feel myself getting lighter, that's when I feel myself slipping out of Lucy's touch, that's when I say goodbye to her sad smile.

But then it's all gone, all, all gone.

My eyes are so, so heavy.

And the pain from my burns has returned, but I can feel the cold wind, real wind, cooling the back of my neck.

And I'm right behind Simon Snow.

I'm lying on the dewy grass, right behind Simon, my Simon.

I sit up.

He's facing away from me, holding the Sword of Mages firmly in his right hand.

Oh, Merlin.

I'm frozen.

He tears his free hand through his hair and lifts the sword higher.

No, no.

Simon.

He's shaking his head back and forth in denial.

I draw my wand and hold it in front of myself with shaking hands, silently breathing behind him.

That's when he flips the sword to face himself, and that's when I finally yell out.

"Simon, don't!"

He freezes, and I think it's too late, like he's about to collapse.

I take a step forward so that I have a hand on his back, and his eyes dart to meet mine.

I hear his breath jump and I see his eyes, telling me, It's you.

I'm here, love, I'm here, I speak through pained eyes.

I take his chin in my hand and pull him closer to me, then I whisper, "Don't leave me, love," before he kisses me.

He keeps mumbling, "I thought you were dead," but I keep hushing him with my lips, and he obliges.

I feel as though I'm going to collapse if I don't drink, but I'm in Simon's arms.

But it's hard to kiss someone so enticing when I'm thirsty, and I think Simon senses it.

He stops. "Baz?"

I don't say anything.

He pushes my head into the crook of his neck for the second time, but he's not scared.

We're not scared.

Because it's over, all of this, it's over, except for us.

Simon Snow.

You're mine.