15

I'm cold.

There's a terrible wind blowing my tear-stricken face and my eyelashes, and the weight on my eyelids makes me wonder, Is it snowing?

Where am I?

I push myself up on my forearms and look around, the sharp wind stinging my eyes.

I'm in a field, a field of sunflowers.

I realize, now, that the wind isn't wind, it's voices, whispers of names.

The loudest of whispers near me is "Natasha," and I whip around to find a black sunflower, frosted with snow, that screams my mother's name when I move closer to it.

So I run.

I get the hell away from her flower.

There are names hissing at me as I tear past them, ones that I vaguely recognize.

I don't stop.

I just . . . I need to find one name.

I need to find—

Lucy.

I don't know who she is, exactly, but I need to find her.

"Lucy!" I yell, and I find my voice to be quiet and hoarse. "Lucy," I say again, more urgently.

When I call out her name, I feel myself drawn like a magnet towards one sunflower, standing tall in the midst of seemingly wilted other flowers.

I'm almost there, I'm—

I reach a hand out, and the moment I touch a petal—

I'm gone.

"Basilton!"

My eyes snap open to a new setting.

It's dark.

The only light is shining through a large, stained glass window.

Oh.

I'm in the White Chapel, at Watford.

"Basilton," the female voice repeats.

I sit up.

Oh, I'm so weak, how long have I been here?

Am I still in the Veil?

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I whip my head around.

Lucy.

"Lucy!"

(Curly blonde hair, brightest blue eyes—)

(I can't shake off the feeling that she's related to—)

"Baz," she says, smiling.

I almost want to hug her, I'm so glad to see another soul in this wretched place.

"Lucy, Lucy."

She tucks a strand of hair behind my ear in a motherly way, and I feel warmth surge through me.

"You've closed the hole."

"I—I did?"

She nods.

"Oh . . . oh, Merlin, no."

"What?"

I tear at my hair. "I'm trapped here, Lucy! I'm not supposed to be dead! I need— I need Simon."

Her face changes when I say his name. "Simon, Simon. My rosebud boy," she says quietly, looking out the window. "I loved being his mother, but it ended so soon."

Mother?

Oh, she's—

Oh.

"Lucy . . . are you— are you Snow's mother?"

"Davy loved both of us, I think, but he lost himself after my Simon was born. He wanted to hide him away, but I wouldn't let him. And this place" —she waves her hand around the room— "was where I died."

"Lucy," I say quietly. "Did he kill you?"

She nods solemnly.

"And you're Simon's mother?"

Another nod.

I huff out a breath, in awe of all of this. "Davy, who was he?"

"He was my lover, for a long time, but . . . We left Watford, we ran away, then we had Simon. But Davy was still trying to reform the magical world, and it took over his entire life. He put it over us. Then when I refused to let him hide our boy away, he . . . He killed me. Became the Mage. And then he hid Simon in the Normal world, all of this for the oracles."

"The Mage was Simon's father?"

"Yes."

"He—he killed you." My voice breaks. "The Mage."

She nods again. "But he made a life, too. Someone you love."

(She knows everything, she can probably read my mind.)

"Simon," I whisper.

I need to get out of here.

I need Simon.

Oh, oh.

Simon needs me.

I lift my head and push my chin out. "Lucy."

"Hm?"

"I need you to get me out of here."