Flowers and Mothers

Do you remember the ads they put out on mother's day? How that's the one gift they want you to get even when flowers can be super expensive? Well, this felt like one of those ads wrapped up in a day.

I woke up on them—dozens of yellow flowers. I always thought flowers had a bittersweetness to them. They are seen almost anywhere with grass but are also seen at weddings and funerals. And gifts.

But what really got me was the dancing...talking....buttercup?

"Howdy! I'm Flowey! Flowey the Flower!" said the dancing plant.

I just looked at him perplexed. I felt a tug in my chest and out popped something that left me even more confused. It seemed to be an s/c heart. This must be my soul...I've never seen it before.

Little white ovals popped up around Flowey. "These are friendliness pellets! And that heart is your soul!" Flowey smiled. "In the underground we like to give this thing called LOVE, here these friendliness pellets will help you on your way!"

The pellets flew toward the heart in front of me and I felt searing pain all over as they hit my soul.

Flowey let out this shrieking laugh. "You really think I would help you? In this world, it's kill or be killed!"

Bullets surrounded me and were closing in as Flowey said one word. "Die!"

But then he got hit by a fireball?

A goat lady soon takes the place of Flowey who seems to have disappeared along with my soul re-entering my body. She places a hand on my shoulder and heals me from the pain of the bullets.

"Hello child, I am Toriel, caretaker of the ruins. You must be so frightened. Come, let me give you a bed in my home so you may rest."

I smile and nod at her.

Toriel leads me through what she calls the ruins. The more I hang around her the more she reminds me of my mom, though I never say a word.

"I'm afraid my house might be a tad messy. I do hope that is alright. I've not had a guest in so long, I'll have to make a pie to celebrate!" Toriel says excitedly. "You do not have any allergies do you?"

I shook my head.

"Oh good," she says as we turn the corner to see her home. "Now come inside my child, I hope you feel comfortable here."

I walked inside with her and she led me to my room.

"I'll make the pie, go rest while I cook and when you wake it will be ready."

She walked off as I entered the room. It felt cozy, almost as if someone lived here before. I got on the bed and fell asleep almost immediately. I swear I almost said 'good night mom.'