Chapter 24 - Change of plans

"I see it now, amma. When you first told me, it was beyond my comprehension. Now I finally understand why you did what you did. And I agree with you. Our means of achieving our goal might be different. But we both desire the same. The prosperity of our people. And to achieve that, the power of these two great empires should reside in our family." Mayanshi looked at Bhargavi expectantly.

"But Maya, it was very selfish of me to--"

"We tried being selfless. Didn't we? What did it give me? Nothing. And selfish people got everything that belonged to me. Perhaps it's time we started thinking about ourselves first." Mayanshi held her mother's chin and made her look into her eyes. "I need you, amma. More than anyone else, I need you at this vulnerable moment. I understand if you don't want to help me--"

"No! I will do anything for you Maya."

"Amma, we will reach the city by sunrise." Bhargavi was startled by Abhimanyu's voice. 

"Yes, I'll be there." She replied without meeting his eye.

"Is something wrong, amma? You seem to be troubled ever since we started our journey."

"Nothing, Abhimanyu." She dismissed him before he asked further questions, and resumed thinking about her previous conversation with Mayanshi. 

'I never thought you would give me another chance. I swear I won't let you down.' Bhargavi made a promise to herself going against her better judgement.Though she no longer sought power, she was not willing to let go off an opportunity to win her daughter back. 'I will do whatever you ask of me.'

---***---

"Maharani, I know it's not my place. But I am very glad to see you reconciling with your family. You are trying to mend ties with your uncle. And I saw you speaking normally with your mother." Devika combed Mayanshi's hair gently, in an attempt of detangling.  "I hope you are happy now."

"It's not mending ties that matters now. I have to bring as many people as I can, to my side."

"I-- I don't understand. I thought you have forgiven them."

"Forgive them? My mother thought of using me as a weapon. If I trust her again I will be the biggest fool on the face of Earth. I'm just using her guilt to make her do what I want her to do. Same goes for my uncle. He cares for me. A little push from my end will make him risk everything for me." 

Devika remained silent. It was hard to process her queen's new strategy.

Mayanshi noticed the frown on her handmaiden's face. "Devika, if there is anything I have learnt after everything that has happened, it is this. Never trust anyone. Just let them be labouring under the delusion that you trust them completely. That way you'll have the upper hand."

"Does that mean you trust no one?"

"No one except my Abhimanyu." Mayanshi shrugged. "And of course you." She added hastily after noticing the look on Devika's face.

Though Devika was proud to be her queen's confidante, it wasn't reassuring. 'She hesitated before speaking my name. What if she is just saying this to make me feel good?' Doubts crept into her mind. She mentally reprimanded herself. 'What am I thinking? I am not important enough to be included in all this. Yes. That should be it. It's not like she is trying the same strategy on me, like she did on her mother. My princess will never do that to me.'

"I am going out this afternoon after the courtroom session ends. If someone asks..."

"The Queen has gone to offer the customary monthly prayer to her favourite Goddess, for the well-being of her subjects." Devika suggested.