Chapter 10 - The game of dice

"Amma, don't do this. Don't mess with Princess Mayanshi. Now is not the right time." Samarjit tried to reason with Vaishali.

"I've waited enough, Samarjit. This is the only way." Vaishali spoke without sparing a glance at her son.

"You don't understand. This is not a trial. You are planning to humiliate Mayanshi in public." Samarjit made her look at him. "If you insult the princess, her supporters will turn against you. If you infuriate the princess, she will make her allies sever ties with us. And if you try to intimidate the princess, King Raghuveera will have to interfere. We are not ready for any of this, at the moment."

"Then what do you propose?" asked Vaishali. "That I accept defeat and swear loyalty to that child?"

"Amma, if you want to defeat Mayanshi, try something else. But not a courtroom trial. You may think this will work out in your favour, but it will only benefit her in the long run." Samarjit desperately tried to stop his mother from entering the royal court.

Vaishali held her hand up, signaling him to stop speaking. "I am your Queen. You will do as I command."

He sighed and followed her. They assumed their rightful position in the court.

"Where is the accused?" She spat before they could make the announcement. "Has she not been informed the timings?"

"May the royal court of Virata gain enviable fame in Bharatvarsha for its unbiased justice." Mayanshi entered the court and walked to the centre, slowly, taking in every bit of the hall, with a smile on her face.

Starting from the decorations to the seating arrangement, everything was changed, except their banner. "I see what my substitute ruler was busy with. Redecorating the courtroom." She spoke in a surprisingly cheerful voice. The occupants of the hall were stunned by the remark. They had witnessed Vaishali awarding death sentence to people for lesser crimes. They just hoped the princess won't be thrown into the dungeons.

"Princess Mayanshi. You stand accused of aiding a city which has been an integral part of Virata for five centuries, to attain independent status, thus bringing chaos to the empire. How do you answer for your crimes against Virata?" Vaishali asked Mayanshi.

The princess stood silent. Senapati Jayendra clenched his fists, while Kashyapa shook his head, unable to believe what he was witnessing.

To their surprise, Mayanshi gave an annoying smile in the Dowager Queen's direction and stayed silent.

"Princess Mayanshi. You have been asked a question by the Queen" said Mahamantri Susharma. "Did you not hear it? Or do you need someone to translate it for you?"

Jayendra was furious. He stood up and tried to speak on behalf of Mayanshi, when she signaled him to not say anything. "No, thank you, Mahamatri Susharma. I understand the question very well. The Dowager Queen said crimes against Virata. I am waiting for her to get to that part. If it pleases her, I would like her to list out what my crimes are."

"This is no place to jest, Yuvarani. The court has made it clear. You declaring Rudragiri independent is a crime" said Susharma.

"May I ask why?"

"Because Rudragiri belongs to us" said Agastya.

"Rudragiri belongs to us. That's news to me. Forgive me if I am wrong. But I could have sworn I have read somewhere that if a city is an integral part of an empire, the residents of the city become the subjects of the said empire and by extension, tax payers. May I ask how much money did we receive from Rudragiri in the form of tax during the past forty years?" asked Mayanshi, without breaking eye contact.