Chapter 28 - Traitor's son

"Where is it? Aren't you supposed to serve me my wine ready by this time? Go, fetch it." Vaishali ordered her maid servant.

"Rajamata, the king has provided strict instructions to all of us. We are not allowed to serve you wine in the morning." The servant answered timidly.

"Of course he would do that." Vaishali chuckled, trying and failing to blink away the tears that glistened in her eyes. "Always worried about my health. Never ceases to look after me even when he is away."

"Rajamata, should I bring it--"

"No. You may leave now. And I do not wish to be disturbed till evening." Vaishali dismissed her. She decided to spend the entire day in her chambers, praying for her son's safety.

Scarcely had the servant left when another set of footsteps were heard. "What did I just tell you?" She turned to face her, only to see that it wasn't the maid. It was the prime minister Susharma. "Mahamantri. What brings you here today? I hope I am not wrong in assuming that it is something important, seeing you haven't announced yourself."

"I come bearing news" said Susharma. His voice shook slightly.

"You look worried. Is Samarjit safe? Anything happened during his journey?"

"It's not about him, Rajamata." Susharma hesitated to speak further.

"Then what is it?"

"The queen's adviser found the bodyguard Shivam. He is in the city."

Vaishali dug her nails into the chair as the impact of his words hit her. "What! How? How is he still alive? I have been told that they were all dead."

"So I have heard. But it seems this man escaped. Apparently he had changed his identity and hid all these years."

"Does... does she know?"

"Yes. She met him few days ago."

Vaishali wiped the sweat from her forehead, trying to steady her breath. She could hear her own heart pounding. "Then he must have told her what he saw."

"What are your orders? Should we... take him out?"

"No. That won't be of any use. The girl knows already."

"Then what do you suggest?"

Vaishali didn't speak for a long time. She closed her eyes. Susharma tried to resume the conversation once or twice. But he wasn't sure what to say. He almost stood up to leave, when she opened her eyes again.

"I have been expecting something like this since some time. The past has never stopped haunting us. And now it is here, threatening to destroy everything we built" said Vaishali calmly.

"We can't let that happen." Susharma murmured.

"You are right. We can't. And we won't. Not to my son. Even if it means I can never be a part of his life again."

"I don't understand."

"You have served me sincerely all these years. Hence I know that I can trust you. I assign a task of grave importance to you. I hope you will accomplish this." Vaishali paused.

"Yes, Rajamata." Susharma waited eagerly.

"Spread a rumour that Samarjit is not my biological son."

"What! Why?"

Vaishali ignored him and continued. "Search for my husband's oldest mistress. You must make everyone believe that there was a secret marriage and Samarjit was her son, whom I have adopted, as my own child was stillborn."