Chapter 35 - The helpful counsel

"Please forgive me, my child. I thought I was helping Virata get a better ruler. That's how I defended my decision. But in reality, it was a desperate attempt to mend my relationship with you. And look where it got me. I could have lost you." Bhargavi blamed herself for Mayanshi's condition.

"Amma, don't blame yourself for my mistakes. It was my choice. I trusted the wrong people."

"But I should have stopped you. As a mother it is my duty to show you the right path, when you were confused."

"That's my point. I was confused. Me. The Queen. You would expect someone like me to be a tiny bit more vigilant. I can't believe I did this." Mayanshi said the last part more to herself.

Abhimanyu, who stood in a corner, witnessing the conversation, spoke up. "I can." Bhargavi turned around to look at him questioningly. "You were left alone in a land where the people disliked you for no reason and the courtiers did everything in their power to make you look like a traitor. No matter how compassionate a person is, if they only got hatred in return for their kindness, they will not stay noble for long. No wonder you tilted in favour of the first person who was affectionate."

Mayanshi furrowed her eyebrows at this. "What? Don't agree with me?" Abhimanyu asked.

"Trying to decide whether what you said is a valid reason or just an excuse." She replied.

"Stop being so hard on yourself. Give yourself another chance. Will you?" He said impatiently. "You saved Virata. Everyone out there is conducting prayers for your recovery. People are celebrating. Don't ruin the festive mood with that gloomy face."

"He is right, Maya. Now is the time to celebrate." Bhargavi squeezed her hand. "I am so proud of my children. May you two always be each other's biggest support." She pulled them both into an embrace. The siblings hugged her back.

"Now, you must excuse me. I have to visit Samarjit." Bhargavi stood up and took their leave.

"You need some rest. Now that all the major issues have been resolved, how about we go on a family trip once you recover?" asked Abhimanyu.

Mayanshi's smile faded. "We still have one major issue."

She didn't need to specify the name. He knew she was talking about Govardhana. She had to decide what to do with the rebel soldier. And it wasn't easy.

"I think you should get some sleep now. We will speak in the evening." She told him to leave.

He obeyed her. He was too exhausted. The war, the confrontation with Senapati, the news about his sister and the subsequent travel to the city, followed by Samarjit's homicidal rage, everything affected him deeply. He wanted nothing more than a long sleep.

He walked towards his bedchambers slowly, only to find himself come face to face with his father.

"There you are, Abhimanyu." Raghuveera glowered at him. "How long were you planning to hide from me?"

"Nanna?"

"Didn't you realise that you will have to talk to me eventually?"

"Talk to you? About what?"

"About your irresponsible behavior! What else?"

"What did I do, nanna?"

"First, you talk in support of a healer girl from Virata, who spiked our soldier's medicine. Then you send Senapati back to Srimukha, right after the war was won." Raghuveera raised his voice.

"I can explain. I supported the physician because she--"

His father ignored him and continued. "And the biggest mistake of all. You didn't attend the meeting with the defeated kings. Do you have any idea how it made us look? Now the nobility of Virata think you do not intend to maintain good ties with them. Is that what you want? To ruin our relationship with our biggest ally?"