9 Every Vow You Break

"Donut!" I yelled at my books as they dropped to the ground. Amy looked at me wide eyed, but she didn't have to run around my gosh-darned property every time like I did. Granted it was getting easier with every fuck-up. See, that's my problem. I can't even stop swearing in my head.

"Are you okay Lukas?" She was grinning at me and I nearly shoved her in my ire. Best not to tempt fate in the form of one large, scary bodyguard. I glared at her instead.

"Fine. I'm bloody fine." I felt my shadow loom and ducked my head, grabbed Amy's elbow and scrammed out of there.

"What is wrong with you lately. You quitting everything fun? Not that I mind. I get into far less trouble being around you now." She giggled at me as I swung her down the hall.

"Sasha is a brute. He hates me and is ruining all my fun. Did you know he makes me run around the property if I swear now?" I ranted to her. I didn't mean it as much as I should and I could tell Ames was getting a right kick out of it all.

"I thought it was just around the house?" She was laughing outright now.

"It was. Apparently I wasn't trying hard enough to stop. Now I have to go on his run with him in the morning." I replied testily. She sighed and I looked at her askance.

"Oh I'd run behind that every morning if I could." She gushed. I rolled my eyes.

"No you wouldn't. You are way too lazy. Besides, you can't watch his arse if you are gasping and passing out from trying to keep up." I chirped back. She stopped me just outside the door to class.

"Oh? Is this from experience? Now I'm intrigued." She looked at me speculatively. I shook my head at her.

"Now's not the time, Ames. Get inside." I avoided her and walked into the classroom to take my seat. Sure enough, the bell rang only moments later to signal last call. I was getting used to hearing that now. The teacher walked in and I heard Ames whisper behind me.

"Don't think this conversation is over." I felt a chill run down my back. I knew it wasn't. Ames was one of the best at reading me, so I knew I was screwed. I could feel her eyes on me all through class and bolted as soon as the bell rang for the next. I wasn't going to be able to avoid her for long though.

Only until lunch break. Then I knew I was cornered. Sasha would keep me from leaving the premises. Ames would find me in all my usual haunts over lunch. Anywhere else wasn't safe from the guys who would love a chance to get me on my own.

"Library?" I heard her pipe up behind me at my locker. I sighed as though the world was about to end and nodded to the ceiling. She grabbed my arm this time and led me down the hall to the bright room filled with books and computers. Our favourite spot was taken, so we picked a small out-of-the-way corner instead.

"Do we have to do this?" I whined. She leveled an 'are you kidding' look my way and I laughed.

"Yes. Now. Spill." She pursed her lips and waited. What do you say to that? I wasn't going to tell her my life story or anything. That was just silly.

"What do you want to know?" I hedged. She smacked me.

"Everything of course. When did you know? Have you told anyone else? Have you told him?" She made this strange keening sound in her throat and I was seriously afraid for her sanity. Either that or she had swallowed a leaky balloon.

"I am not telling you everything. Let's just say it is a recent discovery and I have not told anyone else yet so keep your mouth shut. It isn't exactly something you go around spouting off. If you weren't my best friend I wouldn't have told you either." I brushed a fake piece of lint from my shoulder and looked over to see her surprised face.