•Hyojong•

His body shook from pain. It felt as though his limbs were being ripped from his body one by one. He laid on the living room floor for 6 hours. His family passed quietly, his brother sat down on the couch to watch TV. His dad watched the news, his mother made dinner and they ate in the next room. Laughing and carrying on about school and work. Finally, Hyojong gained enough strength to crawl to his room that night. He fell on his floor and stayed there. His vision spun when his eyes were open, so he opted to keep them closed. He wanted to hate his father for beating him so much. He wanted to resent his shitty family and have no remorse. But, he couldn't. So he hated himself.

For all of the times he'd went to Hui's. For being happy when he wasn't allowed. He should've came home last night. His father would've hit him but it wouldn't be as severe. He hated himself for loving Hui; for being so caught up in him. Love was never happy for him. He was never the universe's favourite it seemed. Always given the leftovers, the scraps; a destined bottom feeder. It was almost as if his life purpose was to suffer.

He couldn't bring himself to go to school. And when he heard the door shut for the second time he wanted so badly to get up and leave. To never look back on his damn family. But his heart wouldn't let him, even if his body would've. He was victim to a painful sleep, only awoken by incessant knocking.

Hyojong pried his eyes open despite the drilling pain behind his eyes. He tried to speak but couldn't form any words. In a few minutes the front door opened and someone came inside. It was seconds before they keeled before him. It was Hui, Hyojong would've been embarrassed but his mind was hazy.

"We're leaving, I'll grab your stuff." Hyojong used his minimum amount of strength to point to his books. Hui followed his bloody finger to the stack. He found Hyojong's backpack, he threw in only a few pairs of clothes as the books took up too much room. Hyojong watching him sling the bag over his shoulder. He then knelt before Hyojong and slowly picked the limp body up. Hyojong whined as he adjusted him in his arms.

"We're going to the hospital, I know you don't want to but I don't care." He said and carried Hyojong to the car. Hyojong remembered the sun beaming in Hui's eyes. They looked like honey and he squinted to avoid the blinding light. Was Hui Prince Charming? Hyojong wondered and fell back out of consciousness.

The hospital was scary. In and out of sleep, Hyojong heard doctors whisper and murmur all around him. He heard terrifying things that would be done to him. He heard Hui at his side. He sung to him, told him stories, and read Paper Towns. Once or twice he heard Wooseok or Yuto but it was mostly Hui. Finally, he woke up. There was an alarm clock beside him. 10:46 AM, Hui sat in a plastic straight-back chair. When he noticed that Hyojong was awake, he came closer to him.

"Your dad was arrested, he's in police custody right now. There were reporters here who were asking to interview you but I told them off. Uh, you don't have any hospital records other than your birth so the receptionist tried to get into contact with your mother. She didn't respond so... kind of just left it alone. You had a um- fractured rib, a concussion, some internal bleeding in your intestinal area... but other than that you're doing great." He gave a weak smile that Hyojong returned. Hui hesitantly took a hold of his hand.

"I took your stuff to my house so... my mom said that you can stay with us as long as you need to. She really wants to meet you whenever she gets back to Korea."

Hyojong smiled down at his hands. Maybe life sucked, and he could never have anything with his family, but maybe things would work out with Hui. Maybe it was okay for him to be scared of falling because someone was willing to catch him.

•end•

Word Count 724

Word Count 724