Chapter 1 - The Move

The drive from Foxham was a long one. John Watson sat in a huff in the back seat of the Ford Galaxy, arms crossed and head lowered in a pitiful way. His dirty blonde hair was ruffled messily, his eyes red from lack of sleep and his knees grubby from where he had to be pulled along the dirt ground by his father just to get to the car.
He looked across to his sister, who was nodding her head to some heavy metal music, her curly blonde hair rocking in the movement. John glared at her.
'Why didn't she protest?!' He thought angrily, 'she hated the idea of moving as much as I did!'
Harry caught her brother staring at her and rolled her eyes as he made a rude gesture with his hand.
"John!" He mother said in shock from the front seat of the car.
'Shit. Busted.' John whined in his head.
His mother sighed and shook her head.
"I know you don't like this idea of moving Johnny..." she soothed from the front seat. "But we have no choice, it will give us a fresh start okay..." she looked over at Harry in the rear view mirror, Harry was still listening to her music on full volume.
"Don't say we didn't have a choice of course we had a choice!" John hissed harshly. "And don't call me Johnny! I'm not a baby anymore."
"Don't talk to your mother in that tone John!" His father intervened from the steering wheel gripping it tightly.
"It's all Harry's fault!" John yelled.
"John, that's enough we discussed not talking about it rememb-"
"It's still her fault! If she hadn't been caught sleeping with Clara by Clara's parents we wouldn't be moving right now!" The car screeched to a stop and Johns body jerked forward at the pull.
He looked over at his sister who had taken her earphones out and was starting to cry.
"John! You have crossed the line for the final time!" His dad roared at him.
"I- I'm sorry" John mumbled.
"Get out of this vehicle now!" John mother and Harry stayed silent. John opened the door angrily and slammed it shut and started to march down the road.
He heard the car roll over beside him.
"Danvale is 2km straight ahead we will meet you at the welcome sign" his mother explained through the rolled down window before the car drove off again.
John threw his fists in the air with anger.
"I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!" He screamed, kicking over a Coke can on the side of the rode.
He sucked in a deep breath trying to calm down before continuing down the road. The cold air bit harshly at his nose and ears and he instantly regretted fighting with his parents.
'Nice one John' he thought angrily.
The storm clouds were starting to roll in now.
The was a honk of a horn from behind him as an unfamiliar car pulled up beside him.
The window rolled down and he was faced with a tanned silver haired boy who looked a bit older than John.
"Need a lift?" The boy asked with a smile.
"Nah I'm all good thanks-" he was cut of by a crack of thunder above and rain starting to pour.
The stranger raised an eyebrow. John sighed.
"If you wouldn't mind that would be great." John said quickly opening the door and climbing in.
"Greg Lestrade." the boy explained turning on the engine and driving down the road.
"John Watson" John replied.
"So John where are you headed?" Greg asked.
"Just to the welcome sign to Danvale will be great" John explained.
They sat in comfortable silence before John saw a picture on the inside mirror that caught his eye.
"Who's that?" John asked pointing to the boy who Greg had his arm around in the photo.
"Um- That's my boyfriend Mycroft" Greg said uncomfortably unsure to how John would react.
He smiled.
"Oh so you're-"
"Gay. Yes well apparently, after I met him" he laughed gesturing to the photograph. "What about you?" Greg asked. John shrugged.
"So far pretty sure I'm into girls but I guess I haven't met any yet who has changed my mind on that" he explained.
"Yet?" Greg joked.
"Oh shush" John laughed. A few more minutes passed and John could see the welcome sign and his family's car parked beside it. His happy mood dropped violently at the sight.
He sighed as Greg pulled the car over.
"Here we are!" Greg said with a smile.
"Thanks a lot Greg!" John said trying to look as happy as possible.
"No problem mate see you around!" Greg said driving off down the road.
John sucked in a breath and headed over to his family car before slumping into the backseat and slamming the door.
No one said a word, he caught his mothers gaze for a split second before their car drove off again.
John couldn't be anymore miserable.