5. Cherish & Protect.

'Dear diary,

Do you know you are my second try of giving life another chance? The first was still stuffed in my drawers, hidden from everyone. But it's all over now because I am finally out of school. It's okay. There is no need for me to keep my head down anymore.

I am not gonna see her from now on. So, it's okay now. Also, I'd be going to college with Parth! Eeek! Eeek! I can't wait!! I am probably not getting any sleep tonight. But it doesn't hurt to try. Bye-bye. Write to you tomorrow ;)'

Parth sighed and turned the page.

Mira.

As if she heard his innermost plea, the lock of her window jingled, before it was opened to the cold windy night. Pune city is not much cold compared to the northern cities, because it was near the sea, but since it was January, the air was a bit chilly.

"P-Parth? Parth, are you asleep?"

Her voice was low and feeble, careful not to wake up her parents and Parth placed the bounded book on his study table, before walking over to the window.

"What's up?"

He asked casually like he was not just reading her private diary but careful enough to not show too much indifference.

"Y-You are awake. What were you doing?"

He watched her play around with the sleeves of her cardigan, trying hard to hold a conversation but equally embarrassed to pry into his privacy.

How could he not sense such obvious signs?

"I was reading some notes."

Mira nodded as her lips formed an 'o', "I am not disturbing you, right?"

Parth pushed the silver-lined square frame up his nose as his dark intelligent eyes bore into her.

"Say it."

Her eyes grew confused and Parth sighed.

"Ask whatever you want to ask."

Mira stared at him as she hesitantly formed words.

"Have you... Have you seen a diary in blue, yellow and green colours, with my name written on it?"

Parth inconspicuously glanced at the diary and shook his head.

"No. I didn't."

"Oh."

Her sigh was tinged with relief like she was whispering to herself that it was good.

"Is it important?"

Mira tensed slightly.

"N-No. Not that important."

Parth snickered to himself but didn't expose her. Such a bad liar... or was it because he know now?

"Maybe someone picked it up and send it to the lost and found section?"

"Ah. It slipped my mind. I am so silly."

She giggled and he felt something in his heart clench. I am so sorry, Mira.

I am so sorry I couldn't protect you before.

But, I promise to cherish and protect this smile.

Forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~

*Don't forget to vote and comment*

[ Protect and Cherish your loved ones. Because Family comes first]