8. Restlessness.

The next day, dark clouds enveloped the city. It was the month of January and the ominous uncalled monsoon was the sign of the upcoming storm. Literally.

And the unusual phenomenon wore on Mira, as soon as the anxiety wore off.

"102."

Her father's deep voice washed over her as he read the temperature on the Fahrenheit Scale and she watched him as he walked out of the room with the thermometer, still in his hand.

Her eyes flickered to her mother from behind the lashes hanging heavily on her eyes with no mercy, as she sat on the now vacant chair beside her.

She willed herself to keep her eyes open and watched her mother gaze at the quilt draped over her in contemplation, before surrendering to the restless sleep.

So comfortable.

Mira leaned towards the damp cotton that brushed against her cheek. It was like a drop of water in the middle of the desert.

"More."

She whispered out loud unconsciously and coughed.

"Let me do it, dear. You must be getting late for college."

"It's fine, Maya aunty. It'll only take a few minutes."

Parth pulled Mira up against him and drew the borosil glass near mouth. Mira felt the rush of cool water against her lips and sipped it eagerly. Once she was done, Parth gave the empty glass back to Maya and carefully tucked Mira back in the bed.

All this time, Maya watched him take care of her daughter quietly. She had always known about her daughter's affection for him but she had never seen Parth acknowledge them before.

No, acknowledge is not the right word. He was not aware altogether. Maybe he was aware of her eyes following him but he was definitely unaware of the underlying admiration it held. Speaking in his words, it was like he had cleared his theoretical exam but failed in the interview.

But seeing him looking at her daughter and acknowledging her, it seemed like he was planning to floor the interview session too.

"She won't blame you."

"I want her to."

His shoulders trembled slightly.

"If it could take away all her miseries, I want her to blame me for it." For all of it.

Maya smiled with tears in her eyes.

"You are a good boy, Parth."

His teeth gnashed together in anger.

Not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Don't forget to vote and comment*

[Things are getting tense now.
What are your thoughts on Mira's mother?]