The Beginning

Few days before:

*Trigger Warning*

Xiao Zhan's POV:
---
5 year old Xiao Zhan:

"Boy, come here!" His rough voice commands and I cower behind the chair. "I asked you to come here!!!" He roars and I try to hide my tears. He does not like when I cry, he hits me when I cry.

Anger seeps into his eyes when I don't act as per his command and in a fit of rage, he strides to where I am hiding, pulls me by my hair and I wail.

"Sorry, sorry, please leave me!!!" I plead but he does not listen. He pushes me onto the bed, his red eyes devour me and he laughs "Boy, no one is going to save you. Your parents are long dead and gone. It's only you and me" he crawls over and seizes both my hands. I kick him and try to bite him but in the next second my cheeks feel the heat and I realise he has whacked me.

Blood drips from my lips and tears sting my eyes. He grins when he realises, I have given up the fight.

He lowers himself on me when suddenly, he yells and his eyes widen. Falling next to me, he yells in pain and in place of evil, I see him.

The light eyed boy. Bloodied. Bruised. Calm eyes.

Holding a stick in his hand, he pulls me with the other and out we sprint from the room but we don't reach the door...

Before that, I feel a heavy smack on my head and I fall down.

Just before I loose my concious, I see the light eye boy being dragged into the room and I shout "Lan Zhan!!!"

"Lan Zhan!!!" I scream as I open my eyes and sprint to the bathroom to vomit the bile within me.

Tears run down and I pant.

Same fucking nightmare every single night. Who is this Lan Zhan? Why the hell do I scream your name? Light eyed boy!

Wiping my tears, I stand up and look at my pathetic self in the mirror. Red rimmed eyes, pale face, dark eyes and bangs that have overgrown. When was the last time I had a damn haircut? I splash some cool water and it soothes my heart.

Walking out of the bathroom, I look at my bed and I laugh sadly. Well now there is no going back to sleep. Dammit.

When was the last time I had decent amount of sleep? Yeah, maybe never. Not since...

Not dwelling into the past, it haunts me enough in my sleep already than me to give it space when I am awake. I enter my office and start my day by doing what I am best at. Opening my laptop, I feel a tinge of happiness when I read the comments in there.

"Sean's book has surpassed all the books of the millennium. The plot, the characters, the story is so realistic, he does not shy away from describing his characters to be flawed yet powerful. A perfect romance get away with enough mystery to keep you on the edge of your seat" - New York Times.