44

"I don't know what to do, Tae," Jungkook whispered into his phone. It was 1am and he was speaking as quietly as he could. He didn't need his father waking up.

Taehyung's heart lurched at the broken sound of the younger's voice. "We can figure it out, Kook. I'll get a part-time job. Hell, I'll even get two."

"Even with us both getting multiple jobs, there's no way I could afford both school and the apartment. And my grades aren't good enough for scholarships."

"Don't lose hope. I'll think of something," Taehyung reassured him. "Please don't give up yet, Kook."

Jungkook released a shaky breath. "You should have seen my father when you left. I thought he was going to start punching walls. I . . . I never expected him to react this way. He hates me."

The elder desperately wanted to hold him in his arms to comfort him. He tried suggesting that he'd sneak over, but Jungkook was afraid of what would happen if they got caught. And his parents weren't letting him out of the house either. They even set their security system to go off if the front door was opened without a code. 

"He doesn't hate you, baby," Taehyung said. "He's just in shock."

"I'm so angry with them, but I can't lose them, Tae. They're my parents. And feeling like I disappointed them physically hurts me."

Taehyung swallowed. "What are you saying then? Do you want to end things?" 

"No!" Jungkook said fiercely and loudly. He lowered his voice, "No. I will not give you up. Please don't think I'd ever consider that, because I wouldn't. I just want to find a way to make everything work."

"Okay," Taehyung said, relieved. He had been terrified of losing Jungkook once more. If he ever had to go through that again, he was not sure how he'd make it through. 

The younger ran a distressed hand through his hair, trying to think of anything to salvage the situation. Nothing came to mind.

"We could pretend to break up," the elder offered. "Just until you're out of school. And in the meantime I can save up money for us in order to make ends meet down the road."

"No," Jungkook refused. "I will not keep you a secret. I will not hide my love for you from them."

"Okay, okay," Taehyung sighed. "Let's sleep on it. Maybe something will come to us." 

Jungkook nodded absentmindedly to himself. He didn't know if there was a solution that would make everyone happy in the end. There was no way he would let this come between Taehyung and him, but he wasn't sure how he'd get along without his parents. Despite the way his father was acting, he loved them too. Yes, he was angry with them. And he had every right to be. But he needed them as much as he needed Taehyung.

"I just wish I could see you," Jungkook breathed. 

"Okay," Taehyung replied simply.

"Okay?"

Taehyung chuckled lowly. "Stay where you are."

"I literally can't go anywhere," Jungkook answered.

A short while later, Taehyung arrived at Jungkook's house. "I'm here," he said into the phone. He walked up to Jungkook's window, grateful that his room was on the first floor. 

Jungkook appeared at the window and pressed his hand against the glass. "But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Taehyung is the sun."  

Taehyung smiled at the modified quotation from Shakespeare. "Oh Kookie, Kookie! Wherefore art thou Kookie?" He didn't know the rest, so he quickly looked up the passage on his phone. When he found it, he smiled. It fit perfectly. 

"Deny thy father and refuse thy name. Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love," Taehyung continued, reading from the phone.

Jungkook shook his head, a small smile lighting up his face. "And what does that mean Mr. Poetry?" 

Taehyung walked closer and splayed his hand against the glass. They'd be touching if it weren't for the window. "It means you should forget about your father, but if you can't, just swear that you'll always love me."

"I'll always love you, Tae," Jungkook said, taking in the elder at his window. There was a moon high in the sky, which illuminated the boy before him.

"You're so beautiful," Jungkook added. "How is that fair?"

Taehyung rolled his eyes. "Life's not fair."

Jungkook looked at him and something clicked inside. He knew there would never be anyone else for him. He knew that Kim Taehyung was his soulmate. His person. His better half.

And he would not let threats made out of cowardice and closed mindedness influence the future he and Taehyung dreamed of.

"I'll come to you tomorrow," Jungkook told the elder.

"How? It doesn't seem like they're inclined to let you out."

Jungkook didn't think about that yet. He knew what he needed to do. And it would likely hurt. But he didn't want to dwell on that fact.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Tae. And, if you're feeling generous, maybe you'll put on a little special something for me."

Taehyung started backing away, shaking his head with a subtle smirk on his face. "Only in your dreams will I wear edible underwear, baby."

"Then I better go to sleep."

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

V A L E N W R I T I N G

Our beauty will fade
Our wit will dull
Our memories will blur
But our love will remain

To the love that stands the test of time.

- valenwriting (aka me)

I think my favorite part of writing this story is developing characters who want to fight for what they have, even when it would be easier to walk away. I hope we all can find something like that one day 💜

In the meantime, I'll continue being a big softie over here T-T